Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling my supercharger this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I am also thankful for the job I have and the lifestyle I'm able to live. We really have it good in this country. As bad as things are they could sure be a LOT worse.

And yeah at this point I'm all about saving money so keeping a paid for car and modding it is typically going to be cheaper in the long run. Especially if you do the labor yourself.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yep, I always try and keep that in mind. For many people, wondering whether or not they'll have a roof over their head, or a meal on the table the next day is a very real concern. I'm sitting up here on the side of a mountain, working from home fulltime, with a pretty view, pissed off that I don't have $50k worth of "toys" down in the garage, lol. I try and keep things in perspective...

I'm on target to buy another "toy" probably next summer, if things stay on an even keel and I can wipe out some debt. I think I'll do a Wrangler though, and just put a couple grand in to make it look cool and offroad a little better. That will allow me to explore many of the cool backroads out here in CO, without parting with $40,000.

Last edited by Mudflap; 08-26-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:07 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
With a paid off car, there is slightly more justification if you plan to just keep it hell or high water.

It sounds like Dave and I found ourselves in very similar situations. I had modded the car with a bonus check, basically, so the burden was the monthly car payment... and the worry. Once I had dumped all that money into it, I wouldn't even leave it parked anywhere. I had to take it out, drive for a bit, then run right home. I kept it in a storage unit because I didn't have enough room at home to protect it, etc. It was a slippery slope. As much as selling it kind of sucked, I actually breathed a bit of a sigh of relief.

These days I'm thankful to be somewhat gainfully employed and be able to live fairly comfortably, but I've had to trim about $750/month out of my budget which meant giving up things I liked having. Someday when the economy improves I'm sure I'll find myself once again getting 20k bonus checks and reporting a hefty gross income to uncle sam, but times are are tough right now... my lifestyle hasn't changed much from a day to day standpoint, I just don't have many toys anymore.
Wow, you just explained my exact situation..

I have actually considered buying a cheap little roadster for a toy after this.. something I can pay cash for and not be afraid it might get rained on or dinged in a parking lot. I have been looking at the BMW Z3's.. under $10k, 2600 lbs, 225 hp (for the 3.0) and best of all, it's already going to be old and worn, so I don't have to care about all that other stuff. And you can put a supercharger on them and make 400 hp.. on a car that light it would scare the heck outta me.. haha. Sure it's not a Mustang, but it would still be fun to cruise around in, and it wouldn't come with a $500 a month car payment..
Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Yeah I've considered options like that too. Its not a bad idea really. I've thought of finding a used 370Z for 23k and just driving that around on the weekends. A few grand down and I could probably have that for $300/month or something. It would still be cool to have, but would cost less than 1/2 what the Mustang was running me.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Dave the s2000 might also be something you'd like to look into unless your heart is set on a bimmer.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Dave the s2000 might also be something you'd like to look into unless your heart is set on a bimmer.
I will have to check them out.. my heart is set on saving money right now, but I know that by spring I will be itching to cruise in something with a top down that is fun to drive..
Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Heh, yeah that kind of sounds like where I'm at. Since we're already almost into fall, I've convinced myself that over the winter, it won't matter anyway. Come spring though, the itch for something will be there. That buys me 6-8 months of more financial flex at least...
Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear you had to give her up. Wow, $500/month payments?? That would be tough for me to swing too.

Kenne Bell for sale!!! Somebody is going to get a sweet s/c.

Man...just went and looked at that thing. Polished Kenne Bell capable of 19psi for $4200.. you're KILLING me dude. Damn, if I had $4200 I'd be all over that.

Last edited by Rubrignitz; 08-26-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:44 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dkersten
Tungsten Gray
would you sell your side scoops?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

damnit, I'll never see another deal like that. I'm going to see about a loan tomorrow. that s/c on my car would be awesome.

Quick Reply: Pulling my supercharger this weekend...