Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid question, are trannys interchangeable...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see you do this so long as you kept us up to date throughout the build. Would definitely make for some good reading!
o i deffinatly would haha because you guys would be helping me through it

do you think it is worth it? how much $ will i be in on it
Old 08-31-2010, 06:21 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang

So what you are saying is i would need a custom made adaption plate...? how much when it comes to it do you think i will be in on the swap?
Have no idea really, some engineering has to done in regards with pilot bearing as well since the input shafts are different etc...
I can't recall anyone doing this swap with the GT Tremec on the sixxers, I believe it'd be tough to find write ups about it.
Some folks have successfully done a 6spd swap but that ain't cheap.

You could always find a T5 that will bolt right on for cheap in a bone yard and still use your buddy's pedals, and hydraulics etc... but it's a primitive and clumsy transmission. The Tremec on the GT feels so much better...

This project is a lot of headache for the non pro, so beware.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Have no idea really, some engineering has to done in regards with pilot bearing as well since the input shafts are different etc...
I can't recall anyone doing this swap with the GT Tremec on the sixxers, I believe it'd be tough to find write ups about it.
Some folks have successfully done a 6spd swap but that ain't cheap.

You could always find a T5 that will bolt right on for cheap in a bone yard and still use your buddy's pedals, and hydraulics etc... but it's a primitive and clumsy transmission. The Tremec on the GT feels so much better...

This project is a lot of headache for the non pro, so beware.
so now i have the adaptor plates for the bell housing (could we keep our housings and just swap internals) and a pilot bearing...?
Old 09-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I feel bad for the person who is eventually going to buy that GT from the dealer (if this conversion is done) because the dealer probably won't know.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
I feel bad for the person who is eventually going to buy that GT from the dealer (if this conversion is done) because the dealer probably won't know.
if the person buying the car doesnt want an auto then they wont buy it... why is that bad?
Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

It's ok though... the VIN on his GT will say it's supposed to be a manual... so hopefully someone spots that little piece. Why is that bad? I'm pretty sure the transmissions for the GT's are better in either auto or manual, so why would I wish a fellow enthusiast to get ripped off?
Old 09-01-2010, 03:15 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Menace
It's ok though... the VIN on his GT will say it's supposed to be a manual... so hopefully someone spots that little piece. Why is that bad? I'm pretty sure the transmissions for the GT's are better in either auto or manual, so why would I wish a fellow enthusiast to get ripped off?
i dont want anyone getting ripped off either, so a fellow enthusiast will put the car up on a lift and inspect it, and ford will to i am not hiding anything, i am not to worried about it. And if they see the tranny and dont want it there are thousands of other mustangs haha not like there is only one GT left and that one just so happens to have a v6 auto in it.

Plus i dont think there is any reason to get all worked up because i think i will find a v6 manual so i dont have to do all the plates and retro fitting
Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a good idea but thats dumb at the same time, why would he take your parisitic automatic and put it in his GT? I'm pretty sure they're two different automatics between the GT and V6. Fail.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:31 AM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

the auto trannys in the gt and v6 are the same but the bellhousing is different.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Possible driveshaft length issues.
Probable ECU differences between automatic and manual tranny cars.

Norm

Quick Reply: stupid question, are trannys interchangeable...?