Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stupid oil catch can question....

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:32 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Default stupid oil catch can question....

ok so i am either doing a turbo or an xcharger on my car sometimg in the future, hopefully soonish, and i was wondering if i could go ahead and install an oil catch can before i do the super or turbo... i want a breather to for the crank case... isnt that what that hose is that goes into my air intake? is that the crank case breather hose? thanks guys
Old 09-01-2010, 03:30 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

You should gather allll of your questions up weekly and make one big thread . I'm just messing with ya, questions are good. Helps learn!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

You can do the catch can before the forced induction upgrade. I have one on my car, and I do not have FI. It eliminates oil from being blown out of the drivers side valve cover, up the tube, and back into the air intake. In turn, this coats your intake and intake valves with oil that gets hot and burns onto the valves. This carbon build up reduces performance and can cause problems after long term buildup. You really don't want this build up on your intercooler if you are going to have a twin screw supercharger.

I vote that ALL cars should have one from the factory, period!
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Unleashedbeast
You can do the catch can before the forced induction upgrade. I have one on my car, and I do not have FI. It eliminates oil from being blown out of the drivers side valve cover, up the tube, and back into the air intake. In turn, this coats your intake and intake valves with oil that gets hot and burns onto the valves. This carbon build up reduces performance and can cause problems after long term buildup. You really don't want this build up on your intercooler if you are going to have a twin screw supercharger.

I vote that ALL cars should have one from the factory, period!
this is great to know, thank you so much, also i see some people on here that have 2 of them and it looks awesome, can a v6 do 2 of them
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
You should gather allll of your questions up weekly and make one big thread . I'm just messing with ya, questions are good. Helps learn!
haha true that, but it is better to know then to try something and f*ck something up hahaha
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang
haha true that, but it is better to know then to try something and f*ck something up hahaha
Yea I'd rather ask questions then butcher something.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:07 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Yes, a V6 could potentially do two of them since you have two valve covers. Though one on the passenger side really isn't needed as its drawing air into the crankcase rather than venting it. You could put a breather there though.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:33 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

you could do it before, but you may have to move the placement of the catch can if the turbo setup gets in the way.
i agree that it will benefit any car, FI or not.
you could do both valve covers into 1 breather catch can.
or you could also do breathers on both valve covers and no catch can.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

i opted for the all breather setup.
i like the way it looks vs a catch can, less clutter and no hoses.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:35 PM
JimC

On the 4.0 the set up you need is different from the 4.6.

You need the catch can on the PASSENGER side of the 4.0. Putting it on the driver side doesn't really do anything. I just worked on a friends car this weekend upgrading his Xcharger to the Xtreme. He didn't even realize that he had a catch can on the passenger side - it was part of the work that he had done several months ago. As a result he has never emptied it:

Dry as a bone.

On my car though (also with the Xcharger Xtreme) I have the catch can on the passenger side. My UPR catch can was over half full with 3,000 miles since I last emptied it.

The UPR catch can is the billet fixture in the lower left. Goes between the back of the intake for the Xcharger and the PCV on the passenger side of the 4.0

Quick Reply: stupid oil catch can question....