Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Mustang engine temperature gauge and rev counter faulty, advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 12:04 PM
Antonio1

Default 2005 Mustang engine temperature gauge and rev counter faulty, advice please!

I live in Spain and have a Mustang 2005 4Litre V6 which I imported from the US from new. My son recently borrowed the car for a couple of weeks and allowed it to overheat....great!!

Whilst driving he suddenly noticed the temp gauge on maximum pulled over immediately and stopped the engine. When he checked the water it was very very low. We then filled up the radiator with water again after letting it cool and it seemed to work fine.

However, since then the temperature gauge is very temperemental and sometimes it does not work at all and other times it creeps up whilst driving to maximum temperature even though the engine is not actually overheating. Also, recently the rev counter will not register more than 2000 revs even when the revs are clearly exceeding this. I'm not sure whether all of this is related to my son's overheating incident or if it is just a coinicidence.

I have taken the car to several mechanics and they have confirmed that the engine itself is fine and unaffected by the overheating however they cannot seem to solve the problem as in Spain although Mustangs are headturners there are few garages that have ever seen one before let alone worked on one.

I found a mechanic 6 hours away from here who claimed to have experience with Mustangs. He has now replaced the thermostat and the temperature sensor and still not solved the problem. They are now saying that it can only be solved by replacing the whole cluster (ie. all the dials and gauges) and here in Spain want to charge me 1,000 euros (approx. 1,540 dollars) for parts and labour.

Before I go spending more money on the advice of someone who is not a Mustang expert, I wondered if anyone is familiar with this problem and can suggest a solution.

As you can see from my explanation my knowledge of mechnics is non-existent so a clear and simple explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this long post!!
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

There is a known problem with some of the stepper motors for the gauges... Try and search for this issue and you may be able to fix this for the cost of the gauge motors.

Good Luck,
Don
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Hootna
3rd Gear Member

I dont think I ever look at the gauge cluster for my coolant temp. I have an Aerforce and check the temps on it. Like to see an actual number rather than guessing. Mine hovers around 185 - 190 degrees... I also had an issue with the thermostat and replaced it my temps were on the high side like 205 - 215 and had it overheat at the track a couple of times. Good luck...

www.aeroforcetech.com/