Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aint got no traction, aint got no sole

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 08:22 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by svastano
What ever you decide try to remember the American workers! Buying something made in China or Japan will not help our economy 1 bit. Just my 2 cents!
If every American had that attitude, we would not be bowing down to China as the next world super power...unfortunately our own greed and love of the mighty dollar will eventually leed to it's demise....
Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Summer tires loose a lot more of there performance characteristics as compared to all season, as the temperature declines. I live in Connecticut, so in mid spring to mid fall, my Supercars do very very good. Especialy when you consider price. However durring the colder months, like anything below average temp of 50, they dont do so well. Not to say you cant, i have driven them in the dead of winter also. But with over 500 HP and 4.10 gears, its alot to ask a summer tire to get you good traction at 40 degrees.
so then why even make summer tires? do they get more traction when its hot out compared to all seasons?

anyway, are these any good?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 09-06-2010, 10:28 AM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joolander
so then why even make summer tires? do they get more traction when its hot out compared to all seasons?

anyway, are these any good?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Yes, summer tires have a stickier compound that is why they tend to go away much faster. Note the tread-wear ratings.

I have those Goodrich tires on the front of my Saleen. They did not have the size that I wanted for the rear available so I had to get the Goodyear's for the rear. Very good tires! Seem to stick well on 1 G turns.
5,000 miles on both pairs so far and wearing much slower than the summer tires that they replaced.
I chose to compromise as my car loves to be driven in cold weather also. (more boost!)

Sorry, I got that backwards.
The Goodrich, are on the rear:

Goodyear's on the front:

Eric

Last edited by 67fire; 09-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

look at the survey sections of the two tires, they tell the story.

The BFGs have almost as good wet traction as they do dry. The Supercars have significantly better dry traction then the BFGs but less wet weather traction. From my experience with them, I will tell you I think there wet raiting is a little low. They actualy get great wet traction so long as it isnt wet AND cold.

if you look at the "Would you buy again" portion of the raiting, the Goodyears win that.

Also, your in Tampa dude..... you dont get what the rest of us call "cold." Googling your average temp, the average low in Junuary is 50 and high of 70. Where as here its 16 and 35 respectively. You can rock summer tires year round no sweat. (no pun intended)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Sure is nice living in Florida. I only have to buy summer tires year round. We only see 2 months out of the year that are under 35*, and that may only be for a week at a time.

My car is also ready for a tire change. Currently I am running the OEM all season BFG KDWS 235/50/18. The next tire will be a summer 255/45/18, and I have been reading a LOT of reviews on Tire Rack.

You may want to take a look at the Continental ExtremeContact DW 255/45/18

The reviews are awesome on this tire, and the only negative thing said is that there were not as responsive in the turns as the Michelin Pilots (not by a big margin though). Owners rave about the tread wear (despite being a summer tire), how quiet they are, and how well they grip. I'm highly considering this tire for my car.

I know they are not American made, but sometimes I buy for top ratings...not just where it was made.

Last edited by Unleashedbeast; 09-06-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:47 PM
deekum1627
6th Gear Member

i like my kdw 2
Old 09-06-2010, 08:21 PM
CliffyDeuce
1st Gear Member

Had the KDW2s - they were nice, but a bit loud. This time, got the Eagle F1 Supercars. Handling is the same to slightly improved, a bit less noise. Unless you drive north in the winter, I would just stick to summer-only. That's what I do here in Texas (although I do have an old set of all-seasons on the original wheels in case I need to go somewhere cold).

Cliffy
Old 09-06-2010, 09:54 PM
ffk_pennywise
3rd Gear Member

I cannot say enough good things about my Kumho Ecsta SPT's. They are a summer tire and are very grippy, quiet, and seem to be wearing pretty well.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
you can get some 255 Eagle F1 Supercars for about 160 each at tirerack.com. VERY good tire for the money. Most complaints on them come from people trying to run them in too cold conditions, but your avatar says your in tampa, I think they would do fine.

EDIT:
Correction, they have lowered the price to 128 each.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....RCAR&tab=Sizes
THIS +1
Old 09-06-2010, 09:59 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

I wish you had 19" wheels. I'd give you my goodyear eagle f1 supercar sliders.

Quick Reply: Aint got no traction, aint got no sole