Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible to get an 06 GT as fast as a 2011 without getting a s/c?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:41 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I always wondered how much it would cost to bore my motor and put heads on.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

go FI and forget it
Old 09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deekum1627
if you bored your motor out to a 5.0 with a nice set of heads and cams you will pretty close
and while your at it, you would get some crazy pistons to try to up your compression to the 11 to 1 like the 5.0. Instead of the what, 9.0 ours has?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
bamawake
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
and while your at it, you would get some crazy pistons to try to up your compression to the 11 to 1 like the 5.0. Instead of the what, 9.0 ours has?
you would probably be really close if you bored it and got high comp pistons with heads that flow well, its not impossible but very pricey i havent seen any prices on the motor bore
Old 09-08-2010, 02:26 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/303547...-memphis-tn-us

this is a member's ride, Strokerstang.
385 rwhp
heads, cams, stroker motor

Engine:

C&L Racer CAI
FRPP 62MM TB
BBK Under drive pulleys
Ported and polished heads w/1mm+ valves
Crane cams
Eagle stroker kit (9.3 CR)

Fore Precision Fuel rails

Ford Racing Remote filter adapter

Canton tanks

Exhaust:

BBK Long tube ceramic coated headers
BBK x-pipe w/ integrated cats
Magnaflow Magna-pack Cat-back
Old 09-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
I figured it wouldn't be worth it. I'll just save up and hopefully will be able to get a Camaro SS or the 5.0 next year.
Why would you get an SS...those pigs are slower then your 06 is (with the standard mods)...you better get the 5.0!!
Old 09-08-2010, 03:07 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Technically, yes. The odds of you grenading something being N/A at 350rwhp? Far more unlikely than pushing 440-500rwhp on a stock block with a blower. IMHO, of course.
Yes, but the odds of toasting your motor at 440-500rwhp NA versus doing the same blown aren't much different. Likewise, the possibility of toasting your motor 350rwhp blown isn't much greater than NA. RPM's kill the motor way more than the boost. People with boosted motors just tend to spin their cars to redline more often.

Stroking your motor is a viable option for more power. Boring =/= (does not equal) stroking. You generally do NOT want to bore a motor with only power in mind, as it offers little compared to the cost/work. There is a finite amount of material between cylinders, and the more you bore the motor, the thinner that wall gets.

Think of your bedroom. Your goal is to fit more stuff in that room. Lets pretend gravity doesn't exist so you can store stuff wherever in the room. You want to keep everything in your room separate from the room next door, who will also be expanding. You have no one living above or below you, only next to you.

You cant expand the overall size of the house on its horizontal plane so the more you expand your room, the more you're eating into your wall space, making your walls thinner. At some point, you run the risk of expanding enough that the wall can no long take the pressure of the stuff you're crammed into the room and it collapses.

The more viable option is to expand your room upward. Yes, in practicality there are limitations, but you're not compromising the integrity of your walls, walls that you share with other rooms (or in application, other cylinders).

Sorry for the overly simplistic/bad example, but it's all I could think of at the time.

People going for maximum gain may bore/sleeve their motors, but again this is overkill I think, even for OP's power goals.

My 4.6l is actually a 4.6l that has been stroked to 5.0. For those not familiar boring increases the size of the cylinder, stroking increases the travel of the crank/rods/pistons.

Boring the motor will inherently increase your compression ratio if the pistons dishes aren't changed to compensate, as you're now taking more overall area in the cylinder, and putting it back into the same size combustion chamber.

I believe the stock 4.6l compression is ~9.3-1, but I could be mistaken.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/303547...-memphis-tn-us

this is a member's ride, Strokerstang.
385 rwhp
heads, cams, stroker motor

Engine:

C&L Racer CAI
FRPP 62MM TB
BBK Under drive pulleys
Ported and polished heads w/1mm+ valves
Crane cams
Eagle stroker kit (9.3 CR)

Fore Precision Fuel rails

Ford Racing Remote filter adapter

Canton tanks

Exhaust:

BBK Long tube ceramic coated headers
BBK x-pipe w/ integrated cats
Magnaflow Magna-pack Cat-back

Yeah, like I said, if he had gotten high compression pistons, trying to push 11 to 1, it would be over 400 no doubt.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Slick61
1st Gear Member

just buy a coyote 5.0 crate engine & be done with it.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Jesus siggy, you took that way farther than I intended, lol. All I was saying was a typical N/A setup is going to land around 350 rwhp if you're lucky. A typical "HO" blower which is what most people would buy, is going to land AT LEAST around 420 rwhp, but more than likely 440 - 500 rwhp. The odds of blowing your motor on a typical N/A setup yielding 350 rwhp max, IMHO, are far less than blowing it with a typical "HO" supercharger pushing north of 440 rwhp. It was just a simple comment regarding physics of the situation under normal circumstances. We all know there are no absolutes, etc, blah.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible to get an 06 GT as fast as a 2011 without getting a s/c?