Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Initial review of C & L CAI with 87 Street Tune

Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by T8Stanggt
Yea whats another 300 Bucks lol. Thanks for the advice it makes sense. I notice my 06 was a little more violent when i would go WOT from a dead stop and my 2010 picks up more speed in 3rd and 4th gear. Cant have both I suppose. I'm doing my first oil change this weekend too at 800 miles. Is it too early to go synthetic
Nah, it'll be fine to go synthetic. I have 600 miles on mine now, and have been thinking I should try and get the oil change done before it starts getting cold next month. I don't subscribe to the synthetic "thing" really, I just have no evidence to support it after using it for many years. I drive so little anymore what with this being a "toy" and also me working from home, that I'll do it anyway though. I think I'll try Royal Purple for the first time as Amazon has it for a decent price and I can get it overnighted for $4. K&N filter as always, can't beat the nut on the end of it!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:25 AM
T8Stanggt
3rd Gear Member

I ran Royal Purple on my 06 for 4 years with out a single problem. The guys at the dealer thought i had tuned the car and put in a CAI. But I popped the hood and showed them all stock except for K&N drop in filter, I wont ever use another oil product. I was really satisfied. I don't change my oil so the RP oil plus RP filter comes out to 90 bucks every time, I do it at a local pep boys.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I usually change mine. Its a PITA, but its easy enough, and I only do it once a year since I drive at most 2000-3000 miles per year on the weekend car...
Old 09-11-2010, 01:41 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

I'm not convinced the CAI is worth it on a 2010+...but I'm not manufacturing or selling them either Until I can see some solid dyno numbers (with the hood down and the engine hot without a custom tune) I won't be convinced that the factory CAI and a high flow filter isn't enough for any otherwise stock or mildly modded GT. I would like to compare my car (stock w/ AFE filter and Bama tune) to another GT with CAI and Bama tune; I bet the numbers would be close...it'd be interesting either way.

As for the fuel, I've just tried both 91 and 87 street tunes and will be running the 87 for most of the year. There just isn't THAT much difference in the seat of the pants butt dyno and I live in a state that rains 360 days out of the year so I don't need that much torque (easy enough to break tires loose in wet pavement) let alone a race tune. It'll be fun to run the 91 during the summer for a little extra pep though. Also, we LOVE coffee here in the NW.

The Bama tune sure idles nice. Did they boost the idle RPM?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

According to Chris Rose, which is the "horse's mouth" as far as I'm concerned at AM, the intake is worth something like 6-8 rwhp if I recall, on an otherwise stock 2010 GT. It will benefit more as you upgrade more. If you plan to never do anything else to the car, then maybe it'd be worth saving the $300 (thats a lot of coffee)... BUT, the intake sounds pretty kickass, so it depends on what you want I guess. I personally wouldn't have bought the tune without the intake, but then again, I already know once you start modding, you can't be stopped, lol. :P

I'm shooting for installing those MBRPs tomorrow or Sunday, so I'll post up some impressions, pics and video, and PM you so you don't miss the thread... They showed up today, and they are pretty as hell as expected. I'll grab a video of the intake noise from the C&L for you guys too, so you can see what I mean...

Last edited by Mudflap; 09-11-2010 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:31 AM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

havnt read this whole post so i dont know if this has been already stated but.. Give the tune a tank or 2 of gas, it seems to kick in after a while (after it adjust) to the new tune. thats how it was for me when i flashed the stock to 89 then the 91. both times it just seemed to get faster the longer i had it...
Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 AM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
havnt read this whole post so i dont know if this has been already stated but.. Give the tune a tank or 2 of gas, it seems to kick in after a while (after it adjust) to the new tune. thats how it was for me when i flashed the stock to 89 then the 91. both times it just seemed to get faster the longer i had it...
Yeah....what drewsky said! At first I thought it was pretty cool but not that big of deal; then it just seemed to get faster and faster.

I really like the dynamics of the automatic tuning. You drive like Grandma and it shifts one way, you give it a little more gas and it's a little bit more responsive, you go WOT and it shifts hard and fast; way faster than I could ever hope to shift with the Tremec in my '08. The pedal has a really good feel but it's a little too twitchy from a dead stop in my opinion. It's a big improvement over the throttle lag/bog of my car before the tune but I have to concentrate on easing down on the gas to avoid sprint starts. I wish it was slightly more gradual for at least the first couple of millimeters of pedal travel! I don't think it will be a big deal once I get used to it but I'm afraid of letting my wife drive the car or taking it into the dealer and having someone else behind the wheel. I'd like to know more about how the Bama tune affects traction control and advancetrack. It's plenty easy to do a wheel spin even with the traction control engaged.

5-6 HP is about what a K&N and removal of the stock intake silencer on my 90GT got me Mudflap...and it made the car sound better too! That probably made a bigger difference on a car that only put out 220HP though. I could definitely feel a difference on that car. On my 95 Cobra...not so much. I never got around to changing the filter or intake on my 2008. FWIW, when I added the AFE filter to the 2010 it made a little bit of a difference in sound and throttle response. Could it be possible that it was good for a couple of horsepower, and that much of the improvement in the aftermarket CAI is a result of the high flow filter? I know Chris Rose said that filters don't account for squat...but if they don't what exactly is so much better about an aftermarket CAI as compared to stock? We're talking about a freakin' tube with a conical filter! I'm no guru on the subject though. I'm sure Chris has MUCH more firsthand experience than I do with CAIs.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the MBRP info Mudflap. Maybe with the $300 I've saved on the CAI I can buy the MBRPs and a cup of coffee to sip during the driveway axle back install ....and what's with my exhaust being seemingly louder with the install of the Bama tune??? Is it because the idle speed is higher and it drones more? I don't get it!! My car is running smoother and better than ever but the factory exhaust sounds more rumbly and deep.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:33 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

with the stock air filters on the 05-10's the rubber tubing would eventually begin closing itself creating a vaccum therefore cutting off air supply. thats why a cai in made of a hard plastic so the air flow is more consistent
Old 09-11-2010, 05:10 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
I'll grab a video of the intake noise from the C&L for you guys too, so you can see what I mean...
Yes, I'm quoting myself, lol. Heres that video of the C&L sound from inside the cabin as promised. This is with 1/2 of the foam "cork" removed from the tube in the driver's footwell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvvNmnIynWk
Old 09-11-2010, 05:43 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

thats sorta quiet....i cant tell any noise is there...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Initial review of C & L CAI with 87 Street Tune