Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 Mustang shimmy saga beginning to today

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

don't get mad by what i'm gonna say..u should've waited a year so ford could've worked the bugs out of the 11 models...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:45 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

I am just not willing to invest that kind of money into a problem that I am not sure will fix it. The road force balancers say the wheels are true so I have to believe them. I am most likely going to trade it in within 6-12 months on a 2011 v6 AND believe me I will take the 2011 on a 20 mile test drive on the beltway at 70mph before I even consider signing that paper...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:47 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronniegibson1978
don't get mad by what i'm gonna say..u should've waited a year so ford could've worked the bugs out of the 11 models...
Dude...this has NOTHING to do with the model year. If you go back and read some posts then you will see that lots of us are having this issue. And yes, we ARE annoyed by what you said...
Old 09-11-2010, 07:51 AM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

Are they Pirelli's? If so, they probably flat spotted.
I ended up putting Good Years on the front and running the Pirelli's on the rear.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rls82959
Are they Pirelli's? If so, they probably flat spotted.
I ended up putting Good Years on the front and running the Pirelli's on the rear.
OP - it's frustrating when people only read half a thread isn't it - D'uh

The whole deal about every shop finding the rims out of balance is crazy although I suspect that maybe you're either finding shops with machines that are out of calibration or shops that are using the "Free wheel balance check" offer, which of course is about as valid as a "free alignment check". These cowboys will ALWAYS discover that your wheels (or alignment) need a tweak at full cost.

Sounds to me that the fact that the shimmy continues isn't altogether related to wheels&tires at all and the shimmy, changing after every balance, is due to the wheels simply being removed/refitted. Especially as it continues [on the front] after the front/rear switch and the replacement of the whole set.

At this point I would be looking at all my suspension joints to see if I had anything loose or defective, a soft front shock will also create a shimmy, I would also look at the hub faces to check for imperfections. And yes, an alignment check too.
Does the car track straight and true during braking? if not, then defo look into alignment issues.

It's not helping that your stealership is being evasive but I can tell you that despite other folks perhaps having a shimmy and deciding to live with it, it is NOT normal and should not be an acceptable part of new car ownership. Remember, any shimmy will only get worse and will start to take out all your suspension joints/bushings over time.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

We agree marcus but the fact is that multiple dealerships say all is well and even Ford FSE's are coming in and saying all is well to back up the dealers. A lemon law lawyer or a tradein is the only remedy and frankly I think a lemon law lawyer for this issue is a stretch. It is probably worth your time at this point with the amount of money you have spent on your own to fix this issue to get a consultation with an attorney. I never did it myself because the problem isn't all THAT bad, just mostly a nuisance. Especially since I have had it from day one and didn't notice it until about 3 or 4 days after I bought the car. It tracks straight as an arrow and feels smooth enough but the steering wheel just shakes back and forth like an egg, and it only does it part time. A $200 lemon law lawyer consultation should be your next move imo because I don't think the problem is in the tires or wheels and it goes deeper into the suspension or drive shaft.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:27 AM
JOHNNY
2nd Gear Member

It may not be in the wheels and tires try telling the shop that you have a vibration at a certain mph and let them trouble shoot it for you. it could be in the drive train or exhaust vibration. Rule of thumb if it in the steering wheel it a front, in the back of the seat in the rear. try moving the tires and see if the vibration move with the tires. If it doesn't start looking at hard parts or bent parts. loose body mounts or suspension mounts. Just tring to help?
Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

You've changed out wheels and had em rebalanced and so forth so many times, maybe you are looking the wrong place for the issue.
Have the wheels taken off and the hubs checked for proper run-out using a dial indicator.
Might want to look at the driveshaft as a possibility. I don't know if the 2011's have the dreaded two-piece driveshaft, like my '08 has. But if it does, there are lots of possibilities there for something to be out of balance, plus cv joints and a center bearing, etc that could have some sort of defect.
Can you actually feel the vibration, or is it just that the steering wheel has movement? Wondering if the new electric pwr steering could have an issue? jus a thought?
Your new car should NOT have this vibration issue. Don't let anyone tell you it's normal or acceptable. My '08 stang is smooth and with no steering wheel shimmy and obviously it's over 2 yrs old.
I did, however, have a slight vibration at one time and this was after I had 3:73 gears installed in the rear and, and the mechanic forgot to mark and "index" the driveshaft so it would get put back exactly as stock. I ditched the stupid 2-piece DS and replaced it with Coast aluminum one, so then the problem went away. But driveshaft vibe if way higher speed than a wheel vib. and you can usually tell it is that....
Good luck, and don't give up, you will find the problem there are only so many things it could be !!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:54 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I really doubt you will get anywhere with a lemon law issue right now. The issue has not been pin pointed. Shimmy is not always related to balance issues. Hitting a pot hole, a bump, anything can throw your car out of alignment, SOMEWHERE. Not to sound crass, but there is more to the car than just wheels. Mine was in an accident sometime ago and my shimmy issue was never corrected. I've had new tires, wheels and alignments done. It is definitely something else and I let it go for now since I have been considering doing suspension for future mods.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:26 PM
ronniegibson1978
2nd Gear Member

you're the first person i've seen on here to have this problem with the wheels. i've heard alot of ppl had trouble with the clutch and tranny not the wheels..have you checked the steering linkage it could be lose or hitting on something?

Quick Reply: My 2011 Mustang shimmy saga beginning to today