Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2011 Mustang shimmy saga beginning to today

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ronniegibson1978
you're the first person i've seen on here to have this problem with the wheels. i've heard alot of ppl had trouble with the clutch and tranny not the wheels..have you checked the steering linkage it could be lose or hitting on something?
I think anything loose would manifest itself at speeds other than 80+, I am leaning heavily towards an issue with the EPAS similar to the GT-500 EPAS TSB.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

I doubt it. My car does it just like yours and mine doesn't have that new EPAS. Many others on that other thread are suffering from this as well. I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I still think it's an aerodynamic anomaly on some cars, suspension problem or drive shaft issue.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

hmmm my gt is as smooth as eggs... it just sounds like simple allingment and tire ballance to me. have those weights put on by some place trustworthy. can bet its something simple like that.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:08 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by drewsky
hmmm my gt is as smooth as eggs... it just sounds like simple allingment and tire ballance to me. have those weights put on by some place trustworthy. can bet its something simple like that.
I feel like it's clearly not tire balancing based on what he's saying....the fact that he had them rebalanced what, 4 times? says that it's VERY unlikely that every one of those shops did it wrong and gave him messed up unbalanced wheels.

Also, since when was "smooth as eggs" an analogy xD
Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
I feel like it's clearly not tire balancing based on what he's saying....the fact that he had them rebalanced what, 4 times? says that it's VERY unlikely that every one of those shops did it wrong and gave him messed up unbalanced wheels.

Also, since when was "smooth as eggs" an analogy xD
Lets not forget that I also bought a set of known good wheels/tires and have the issue with them as well though it is MUCH better.

Today 90mph was smooth as silk, but I bet the ride home will not be.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Dumb question...but is the highway you are "testing" on textured? Could it be that your tires are simply being "lead" by the grooves in the road?
Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Argetni
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Dumb question...but is the highway you are "testing" on textured? Could it be that your tires are simply being "lead" by the grooves in the road?
Some are some are not, brand new pavement was the worst with the old wheels.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:33 PM
maniacmikey
2nd Gear Member

have you checked the brakes? I was reading on a honda forum and person had shaking problem that was caused by pressure from the rear brakes not releasing fully and leaving the front calipers slightly closed on the rotors causing the rotors to warp a little making the wheel shake at all times. probably a long shot but might be worth a try to have the rotors checked to see if they are warped.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM
pv74

From what I was reading, the EPAS system is supposed to correct for things like a warped break rotor...
My 2011 is fairly smooth...haven't noticed a shimmy and I've had it up to well past 80...
Old 09-15-2010, 06:18 AM
j0nx
2nd Gear Member

Argetni, yours and my car are doing the EXACT same thing. Mine is a '10 without the new PS system. I'm telling you they are identical problems. One day mine shakes and the next it's perfectly fine. It's been great for the past 3 days and then BAM out of the blue it will start to suck. New pavement for me is also the worst. I feel every groove in a freshly paved road.

Quick Reply: My 2011 Mustang shimmy saga beginning to today