Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need advice: looking at 05 V6 'vert w/ hi miles

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 02:59 PM
vtdave

Default need advice: looking at 05 V6 'vert w/ hi miles

I'm going to look at a '05 V6 convertible with 125k on the clock. Seller is asking $5900. It needs a new throwout bearing (meaning: also needs clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing), which I can replace myself with the help of a friend and some beer.

Questions:

1. What issues/problems should I watch out for? I mean issues specific to the car (V6, convertible, 05+ body style) not generic used car stuff.

2. Is there a buyer's guide somewhere?

3. What maintenance (aside from changes, spark plugs) should have been done already?

3. What do you think of the price?

Thanks for playing 20 questions. I'm a decent mechanic on old German cars, but now I'm looking for American muscle and could use your insight.
Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 03:07 PM
JimC

If the plugs haven't been changed yet you will want to take care of that of course. The stock OEM type plugs are all that you need to use, and they are inexpensive. The more expensive plugs actually can cause issues on this engine.

I have 151,000 on my car - and it has gone through a CAI/tune combo, then to nitrous at the dragstrip, and now the Xcharger. Haven't had any problems with the engine, it has held up very well. I change the oil with a synthetic blend and get it analyzed about every third change and that report comes back showing it is still very healthy with no abnormal wear indicators.

Check the rear window defroster. The tabs can come lose easily.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That's a darned good price if everything else is in good shape.

Read thru the list of TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) so you can be aware of the issues that plague these S197's. There are a few specific ones which, if the car shows evidence of, you might want to stay away. In particular, the water leak TSB if not resolved will eventually destroy the SJB (Smart Junction Box) causing the car to be undriverable. The repair can get expensive.

Check out the TSB's here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tech-info.html
Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 PM
vtdave

Originally Posted by Nuke
That's a darned good price if everything else is in good shape.

Check out the TSB's here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...tech-info.html
Looks like I've got some reading to do. Thanks very much.

Does anyone else have some personal experience with issues to look for? Much appreciated, guys.