Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We as a collective are not on the same page with MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

To put an end to the pointless post-posters: Seriously? HAHA! C'mon, enjoy life and your fellow Mustang enthusiasts my brothers and don't let harmless/uninteresting (to you) topics get one over on you. We're here to enjoy, discuss, and celebrate one of the most radically awesome automobiles in like, forever, right? :P

Personally, I love reading discussions like this. My point counts too! I want representation!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I was really hoping my longtube headers would get me better gas mileage...lol...jk
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Hard to prove 'significant' with reasonable numbers.

Driving 100 miles/week, the difference between getting 16.7 mpg and 20 is one gallon. $3 or less. ...Take you 3 weeks to get a movie ticket (and then another 3 weeks for hers). Etc.

Norm
Funny you should mention that and compare that to the price of fuel. Goods and services have inflated in price big time where fuel costs have either inflated less than or just about the same as the Federally calculated inflation rate (at least I think they have).

Movie tickets on the other hand have over-inflated in price. So have many more other goods and services. International trade (trade with China, etc.) is always argued to keep inflation prices in check, especially if the prices are inflating to fill some body's pockets with larger profit margins. For example, a product costs $2 to make in China. even after factoring overhead, the fuel burned by the ship, the trucks and trains to send it to the store, the product should probably cost $5 per unit.

The reason why the product which is so damn cheap to make in China is so overinflated is because of too many middle men coming into play. A distributor steps in between the factory and the store, and tacks on another $3 to that price. And if that middle man-distributor is a crook, he will work in ANOTHER distributor buddy in between himself and the store. So now two middle men are getting paid and the product price has more than doubled even factoring shipping, manufacturing cost and overhead.

So, yes, saving only $3 per week because of fuel savings does not make a difference to one individual person. It only makes a difference id EVERYONE is doing it, and it is not a monetary gain, it is for the sake of dumping less pollution into the air, keeping fuel prices in somewhat of a check by not putting less of a stress on the national fuel supply, etc.

Getting back to the individual saving a significant amount of money for observing MPG, and tying back why I mentioned over inflated prices, if the middle men were cut out, or at least the amount of money wasted on them is reduced to a fair level, then the $3 savings for saving gas will make a more meaningful difference to individual.

My weird and twisted point in this twisted logic is:
Maybe we should put our unified, cooperative, and collaborative efforts into driving prices down of overinflated product prices instead of worrying about MPG.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:58 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

This thread is painful. I can't believe I just read through it.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:06 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Painful for some, but interesting for others. I personally find the whole thread, every aspect of it, very entertaining. From the guys who demand better MPG from a V8 performance car to the others who are bothered that someone would dare ask such a question. I find it very funny (not "funny" as in baffling, but "funny" as it make me laugh like at a joke) that the some guys are are all saying the same thing "What is the purpose of this useless thread/post?"
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

In any conversation regarding a Mustang, MPG's are about as relevent as how loud your sound system will play...nice to know, but who cares???? LOL
Old 09-22-2010, 03:14 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

locktite applied