Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 AM
abecker

Default Mod questions

Hi All,

I have a 2009 stick GT and was thinking about doing some (relatively) simple mods now that I've had the car going on a year and a half.

I was looking at doing the following:

1) Adding a CAI/Tune
2) Adding sequential taillights
3) Changing the shiftknob (I prefer the ball look instead of the standard)

So my questions for you are:

1) I know you need the computer code, but how do you know if the dealership has changed your version?
2) Where would you suggest buying some of these things? I've already been looking at American Muscle and am wondering if there are better options.
3) What CAI/Tune would you recommend?
4) Are there any other things I should be thinking of, but am missing?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 09:48 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

There are many CAI's to choose from. You will read a lot of good things about the JLT and C&L CAI's. I personally have the Airaid CAI and felt a drastic change, once I got the custom tunes uploaded from Brenspeed.
In reference to purchasing a CAI/Tune, American Muscle and Brenspeed are both reputable companies. you can't go wrong with either.
Happy modding!
Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The CAI is only about 20% of the poweradder of the CAI & tune combo, so don't sweat the CAI. They're all equivalent in performance. AM and Brenspeed are 2 of the better tuners out there. As far as the code, you can't tell it's been changed until you have the handheld. Discuss this with Am or Brenspeed and they can help you with verifying the Strategy code before the install IF you're that worried about it.

Sequentials are very easy to install. There's a video on the AM website.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
abecker

Originally Posted by kevinmalec
There are many CAI's to choose from. You will read a lot of good things about the JLT and C&L CAI's. I personally have the Airaid CAI and felt a drastic change, once I got the custom tunes uploaded from Brenspeed.
In reference to purchasing a CAI/Tune, American Muscle and Brenspeed are both reputable companies. you can't go wrong with either.
Happy modding!
In terms of being easy to work with/ turn around; who would be better Brenspeed or AM?

I could swear I heard one of them was having issues a few months ago.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

No issues. Both are very good. You might be thinking about Bama having issues many months ago but Bama was absorbed by AM. All is good.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

I went with Brenspeed and I don't plan on changing my tune. If anything, a dyno would be my next option, that is if I heavily mod. So in other words, I'm very satisfied with Brenspeed.

Bama was having some issues few months back, but he now teamed up with AM and is good to go. AM is a reputable vendor for mustang parts. I never had any problems ordering from them and always willing to help you out if there is an issue.

You might even want to think about changing to a short throw shifter instead of just the ****.

There are so many mods to do out there. Depends on what YOU want to do. Performance, visual looks. CAI/tune is one of the best ways to get your feet wet and give you some quick added power.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:29 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

There's also some sticky's on this subject I believe...and a million other posts with the exact same questions. So read some past posts, and you'll get most of your answers from there...Many people, including myself, have asked this question, and read other posts and got our answers...
Old 09-23-2010, 04:07 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

brenspeed (any cai, I went with bullit...liked the ford on there) tune 87, 91 and 93 octane...Done...sequential tails? I went with Brenspeed simply to ship it with my cai/tuner...most go with webelectric...I've had mine for 9 months, zero issuees, my wife installed because they were on her kitchen table too long (really need to leave a whipple lay around)...simple install, even for a blonde, lol...No idea about a shift ****...I'm running stock there...Any other things right now? How much cheddar you got? Your situation sounds a lot like mine, and I still stand stock (minus sequentials, cai and tune) right now...FI is coming shortly though...right before or just thereafter the 555s...wait till you get a proper tune installed...you'll be pretty happy I assume...
Old 09-23-2010, 04:20 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Just throwing it out there.. 91 and 93 may not be available in all areas. Look to see what is local in your area. 87, 91, 93 are some of the more common choices though.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:32 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Another mod I would suggest is a one piece DS..get rid of that 43 lb two piece boat anchor!

Quick Reply: Mod questions