Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 ford mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:13 PM
onegoal
Banned

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Co-signing is a big deal because basically you take a credit score that you've spent 20+ years trying to cultivate and make "perfect", and let it hang in the wind based on whether someone else decides to make a payment on time. Also, if that person loses a job or something, guess who is stuck having to pay otherwise watch their credit go down in flames? We'll be running into this in the next few years with our daughter I'm sure, and I doubt we will co-sign either. Its just too much of a liability...
Then why not just make the car payment for your kid then?

It's not our faults that banks wont lend us $$.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:36 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by soonerwarren
ya i can afford the payments also and i have 10k to put down on the car, but my dad is being **** and does not want to co-sign. I can easily pay for the payments but he does not want to help. It is really frusterating but hopefully somehow i get lucky and can talk him into it.
Can't blame him. He's not being "****", he's trying to teach you responsibility.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
Then why not just make the car payment for your kid then?

It's not our faults that banks wont lend us $$.
Wow, you have a really warped perspective on finances and life in general when it comes to things like this from what I've seen. The only things a parent is required to give a child are food, clothing, and shelter. In this life you either help yourself and rise above, have everything given to you like a spoiled brat and live life clueless, or you get steamrolled by the system. You have a sense of entitlement thats off the charts scary man...

Why not make the payment FOR the kid? Heres your answer: that teaches her NOTHING about responsibility, and sets her up to have expensive things given to her for free and to have no appreciation for them. She will not value money and the work it takes to earn it, just like you clearly don't. In short, handing a kid everything sets them up for failure in life.

More than likely what we'll do is buy the car, and have her pay us. If she defaults on the payments, we take the car back and sell it to recover our money. When shes paid it off, we will sign the title over to her. This isn't going to be a $35,000 car either, its going to be something used/decent, but no more than 10k. This will teach her responsibility in making payments each month as agreed, otherwise she'll lose the car. It will also teach her that she has to work to earn money to have things that she wants. This is parenting 101 frankly, and these are also the rules of how society works. Why should my kid get a free ride or get to live above the rules...

You need to do what the rest of us did that didn't get "help" financing expensive things. First, stop trying to get a $35,000 vehicle. I bought my first car for a few grand cash, and it was a piece of s#%t. This is what broke-*** people drive: pieces of s%&t. Did I want a cool car? Hell yes I did. I wanted a brand new Trans Am. You're one step ahead, because you already have a nice car. Then I got a Mobil credit card, and eventually a student Visa card with a $500 limit, and charged essentials onto them (gas, food, clothes, etc)... and made payments on time each month. This is how you build up your credit rating. Prove to the lenders that you are "good" for what you borrow, and they will loan you money. Within 2 years I was able to get my own car loan on a brand new car, and I didn't have to have my parents involved. And by the way, that first new car wasn't the Trans Am I wanted, it was 1994 Chevy Cavalier base model that cost $9k -- but it was mine, and I paid for it myself. It wasn't until 5 years later I finally bought a car I REALLY wanted, which was a 2000 Camaro Z28. I worked hard and busted my *** until I could afford it.

Good luck man, I know all of this is falling on deaf ears anyway.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

ya i can afford the payments also and i have 10k to put down on the car, but my dad is being **** and does not want to co-sign. I can easily pay for the payments but he does not want to help. It is really frusterating but hopefully somehow i get lucky and can talk him into it.
Um, if you have 10k to put down, and show enough income to support the payments, they will finance you. unless you have terrible credit from not paying other things, at which point I tell you to spend that 10k on paying off your debts instead of going farther in debt.

So your either a idiot, or you don't need your parents to sign.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:27 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

To be honest, sometimes you can have a problem even if your credit isn't terrible. At a young age, you also have the potential that you basically just have NO credit score, in which case they consider you too risky as well.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:36 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Co-signing is a big deal because basically you take a credit score that you've spent 20+ years trying to cultivate and make "perfect", and let it hang in the wind based on whether someone else decides to make a payment on time. Also, if that person loses a job or something, guess who is stuck having to pay otherwise watch their credit go down in flames? We'll be running into this in the next few years with our daughter I'm sure, and I doubt we will co-sign either. Its just too much of a liability...
Yet these days that's about the only way to help the kid build credit. But I have to agree..whining about not co-signing on a 35K car...well...thats silly.

I reluctantly co-signed on my daughers 10K car purchase (I wanted to see her in something safe and reliable and I pushed her into it) but I also put the fear of God into her regarding even a day late payment. But hers was a special case I guess. Her ex husband screwed her buy buying a car and then leaving her with the note. We got the car repoed but she still ended up having to pay it off. 4 years later her pay record is perfect and my credit score remains at 840.

Sometimes ya just got to give em' a break...but not a 35K break.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
soonerwarren

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Um, if you have 10k to put down, and show enough income to support the payments, they will finance you. unless you have terrible credit from not paying other things, at which point I tell you to spend that 10k on paying off your debts instead of going farther in debt.

So your either a idiot, or you don't need your parents to sign.
im 18.... So i have no credit but thanks for calling me an idiot. And just because im 18 does not mean i cannot afford the payments either im sure someone is going to come and say that.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:55 PM
soonerwarren

Originally Posted by potman
Yet these days that's about the only way to help the kid build credit. But I have to agree..whining about not co-signing on a 35K car...well...thats silly.

I reluctantly co-signed on my daughers 10K car purchase (I wanted to see her in something safe and reliable and I pushed her into it) but I also put the fear of God into her regarding even a day late payment. But hers was a special case I guess. Her ex husband screwed her buy buying a car and then leaving her with the note. We got the car repoed but she still ended up having to pay it off. 4 years later her pay record is perfect and my credit score remains at 840.

Sometimes ya just got to give em' a break...but not a 35K break.
and i do understand this its just he has told me he would co-sign and now that the time has come his trying to back out. That is why i was acting how i was in my response.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

im 18.... So i have no credit but thanks for calling me an idiot. And just because im 18 does not mean i cannot afford the payments either im sure someone is going to come and say that.
I say again, if you can show a 10k down payment, and enough income to support the payments, they will finance you, unless your credit is wrecked. No credit is not a big hit, especialy with that amount of money to put down. I'm 26 and have bought 6 new cars with no co sign.

Last edited by JDWalton; 09-29-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 PM
soonerwarren

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I say again, if you can show a 10k down payment, and enough income to support the payments, they will finance you, unless your credit is wrecked. no credit is not a big hit, especialy with that amount of money to put down. I'm 26 and have bought 6 new cars with no co sign.
ok, ill try and see if i could get a loan by myself.

Quick Reply: 2011 ford mustang gt