Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trac control...on or off

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 07:11 PM
delurker
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Trac control...on or off

I got hella sideways in 2nd on the way home from the stealership in the rain with traction control on. I always leave it off when it's dry.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 PM
dajohu
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05vert

Not sure about SCT or SCT2, the Predator can definitely do it.

Wow really? How may I ask? With a custom tune? It sure isn't an option on my predator.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:26 AM
grubeda

The current version for the Predator (r22) does not allow any TCL changes. DiabloSport told me it would be in a future update. I noticed tonight that there is now an r23 update available. I started a new post for any information on that update.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:20 AM
sam_abuelsamid

ORIGINAL: sowaxeman

I never drive my car in the rain, and am pretty good at launching. Plus, I always prefer a little tire squeal in 2nd, and am never against hanging the rear end out a little around corners. Thus - I ALWAYS turn mine off.

So that brings up another question. Anybody know if you can change the default setting, so it is off automatically every time the car is turned on??

No you can't change the default unless you get the source code for the tc software and you can't get that. The tc switch is a momentary switch, meaning that it only provides a signal while pressed. It is not a toggle switch that is off or on. The tc software always starts up enabled unless a fault is detected. If it sees the switch get pressed the tc switches off, and then switches on when the button is pressed again. You would have to find a way to get the vehicle comms system to send a tc button press message to the tc at power up. Alternatively you could pull the fuse, but that disables the abs and drp too.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:26 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

good topic for debate too...
i was always a little confused...
even with TCS on i still get a little chirp out of the tires, especially shifting 1st to 2nd.
It would seem to me that TCS is taking just enough power to keep the tires from completely lighting up which of course if that happens results in slower overall acceleration. Doesn't this mean that with TCS on you're keeping the wheels from spinning thus going faster than TCS OFF?

I'd be curious to see the same car with the same driver make 5 1/4 e.t. runs with tcs on and 5 more with tcs off just to see what really works better. (assuming the driver is good enough to keep the wheels from spinning during the tcs off phase of testing)

what do you guys think?
Old 08-17-2005, 11:31 AM
sam_abuelsamid

ORIGINAL: 4wheelkillr

good topic for debate too...
i was always a little confused...
even with TCS on i still get a little chirp out of the tires, especially shifting 1st to 2nd.
It would seem to me that TCS is taking just enough power to keep the tires from completely lighting up which of course if that happens results in slower overall acceleration. Doesn't this mean that with TCS on you're keeping the wheels from spinning thus going faster than TCS OFF?

I'd be curious to see the same car with the same driver make 5 1/4 e.t. runs with tcs on and 5 more with tcs off just to see what really works better. (assuming the driver is good enough to keep the wheels from spinning during the tcs off phase of testing)

what do you guys think?
The TCS is specifically calibrated to allow some wheel slip, with the amount dependant on the surface that is detected. On higher traction surfaces it will allow more slip, on lower traction surfaces little or no slip. We spend a lot of time testing on a lot of different durfaces with different maneuvers to try and achieve the optimum balance between acceleration and stability. On dry pavement, a certain amount of slip is necessary to achieve max accel. If the you have too much or too little slip, you will lose accel. With a really good driver under optimum conditions with tcs off, they may well be able to outrun the tcs on case. However, the reality is that the vast majority of drivers will not be able to outrun the trcs on. The other thing is that the performance with tcs on will typically be a lot more consistent from run to run, than most drivers can achieve. By the way the same thing goes for abs. A good driver may be able to outbrake abs but most can't and certainly won't be as consistent and won't be able to control the brakes as effectively as the abs.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:27 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I have never experience my car with traction control off yet. But with it on I can still get fish tailed if I go into a corner to hard and shift into the next gear , for example first into second.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:20 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

>>even with TCS on i still get a little chirp out of the tires, especially shifting 1st to 2nd. <<

traction control can only limit throttle and modulate brakes...banging a lower gear at redline will always break loose anyway though, as its the inertia of the 6000 rpm crankshaft/flywheel that barks the tires as its suddenly -almost instantly- decelerated by several thousand rpm as the clutch gets popped. Unless they put a clutch servo or even a damper in there to limit 'popping the clutch' at high rpm, I think this will always be there - as it shoud be
Saw an aluminum flywheel out now for 4.6 GTs - allows quicker revving, but should also decrease chirp a bit.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:21 PM
bluepony

if its dry out i always have TCS off. some times i experience more wheelspin with it on though, guess its just the type of pavement i happen to be on.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:27 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

the car is waaaay faster with traction control off. You will need to practice launching though