Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best value for money toolset???

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Art161

My Craftsman warranty didn't remove the wheel lug nuts from my car when the socket cracked.
I used them a lot but some Craftsman stuff is pure junk.
They can't make a ratchet worth a damn!!
I just replaced one again last weekend.
Good thing they replace them over the counter no questions asked...

For lug nuts, use the black sockets (thicker wall), not the chrome ones.
Despite that, if you cracked a chrome socket trying to remove your lug nuts, you need to punch the last guy that put your wheels back on, in the face.
This should never happen.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The black sockets are usually impact sockets, which are great for high torque use and obviously preferred for impact use even if your impact tool is a small cordless.

BUT . . . sometimes they are too thick-walled to reach down into a wheel lug cavity to grab the lugnut. Then you need a deep well six point chrome.

Over the years, I've had generally good luck with most Craftsman stuff, the main exceptions being 1/4-drive ratchets and 1/2" to 3/8" drive adapters (which will be problematic no matter whose they are).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:08 AM
gatkins94
2nd Gear Member

Kobalt tools I think are made by the same people that make Snap-on.....I like the Kobalt tools the best, but have some craftsman tools too.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:24 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
I bought a similar box earlier this year this one......http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...6260000P?mv=rr

I have used it for many things but the biggest so far was my cam install. Supercharger is next. Go for it dude, great value for the money IMO.
Looks like a deal! I need to get me some good tools and quit all this secondhand crap.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 AM
NOLA26
2nd Gear Member

I have always used Craftsman. Im no mechanic but I try to do any repairs on my house and cars if I can. Since I got my Stang I have done all mods myself. For the price, and I believe Craftsman to be midrange in price, you cant beat Craftsman. Snap-on are way too expensive. For more expensive tools that I dont need to last a long time, maybe a one time use tool, I go to Harbor Freight. In your case I would get the Craftsman no doubt.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I have a 260 pc. mechanics set. Craftsman. It's been pretty good so far although I did have to get the 1/4" ratchet replaced when it broke on me.

Snap on is the best but you're gonna pay for it.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

The few craftsman tools that I have, feels a little loose on the tolerance...not sure if they are just used, but will definitely look a bit closer. Nothing more anoying than rounding a bolt in a difficult to reach location. Snap On is prefered, but unfortunately I can only rob the bank after I installed the blower
Old 10-01-2010, 10:08 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I definitely have to invest in a set like one of the above. I picked up a simple kit from Lowe's and while it's a good starter, quality is ok. Had a socket break close to break in half on me already
Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I'd like to make a few general suggestions.

Get yourself some breaker bars. I have a craftsman 18" in 1/2" drive - but the cheap one I got from harbor (china) freight, which is 24", is even better. I also have a 18" 3/8" breaker bar from harbor freight. These things really come in handy.

Vice grips, good set of screwdrivers, pliers, trim removal tools, etc.. The list goes on. Before you know it you'll be buying a compressor and impact tools.

I have had a LOT of bad luck with craftsman and harbor freight floor jacks. I picked up an Arcan XL35 from Costco and so far it's been a very good floor jack. Especially for $100.

PS: These kick ***

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/wr....jsp?part=9901

Last edited by Riptide; 10-01-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:16 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

The cheaper craftsmand stuff is made with that in mind.... Yeah they still waranty them good, but its a pain when you break em. I have had really good luck with the Kobalt stuff from lowes. Very resonable price and a good quality tool... The one I broke, through my own stupidity, they still replaced with no issues.

FYI stupidity is not having a breaker bar, and instead trying to use a box ended wrentch to add length to my 3/8 drive ratchet and breaking something internaly in the ratchet. Even then, it still worked but it just wasnt the same.... I now have a new ratchet, a breaker bar, and a impact wrench ;-)

Quick Reply: Best value for money toolset???