Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 mile trip, want to do safety inspection

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Default 2000 mile trip, want to do safety inspection

should I take the car to the dealership and ask them to inspect it for safety? The car is a 2008, purchased new in October 2007. I have not taken the car in for service hardly at all. Only things that go wrong and fuel filters. I do my own oil changes and air filter changes. What should be checked? I still have a thunk in the front end. I haven't gotten that looked at yet. I have never flushed the radiator. I have a stick shift. Should any fluids be changed in the transmission or rear axle? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:36 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

i would take it to a dealership...better safe than sorry
Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

You should in theory be able to drive your car to hell and back with no issues, never mind 2000miles.
Driving 2000 miles in one trip is actually easier on the car than driving the same distance over many weeks.
That said, if you have an issue with the car which you feel is bad enough to warrant taking it to Fords to be looked into, frankly you should do it regardless of any upcoming trips anyway...
Old 10-01-2010, 11:51 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I have a 2005 w/ 45000k and I've been on two 2000+ trips this year.... My car doesn't see the dealership.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:04 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Some things to check before any long trip:

Air pressure in tires and tread depth

Oil level (carry a spare quart just in case, but really shouldn't need it on a 3 year old car)

Coolant level (spare gallon of coolant never hurt)

Also, when I go on a long trip, I generally carry a full-size jack and socket set (you just never know...), a first aid kit, a spare headlight bulb, a few rags/roll of paper towels, a reflective triangle, road flares (>2), a gallon of windshield wiper fluid, and a gallon of drinking water.

If it's cold/snow out, I will bring a box of hand warmers, one of those foil reflective blankets, a few real blankets, even more flares, a 7lb bag of kitty litter (for traction). I also carry on me at all times a multitool with bit set, and an LED mag-lite with four modes (100%, 25%, strobe, and SOS). And maybe a few spare sets of batteries.

And maybe a spare car battery. And a spare alternator.

But, this is in my 15 year old SHO, which goes through oil fairly quickly and goes through alternators even quicker. I also may or may not have spent most of my life in the Scouts.

But it has come in handy. Once, on my way home after a short at-sea period, I discovered the hard way that one of my caliper bolts had come out and the front caliper was now beating against the wheel (e.g. not clamping on the rotor). I pulled off (with e-brake), jacked the side of the car up with my jack and jack stand, pulled the front and back driver side wheels off, and took a bolt from the rear caliper (which never got used anyway due to f-ed up brake lines, but that's a different story), stuck it in the front caliper, reassembled, and drove home. It was about a 30 minute delay that, without the tools I had on me, would've been a 4-hour delay due to getting towed home, etc. etc. To add exigency to the story, my wife was waiting at home in a skimpy negligee, so I had plenty of motivation to get the hell home as soon as I could.

tl;dr be prepared - it never hurts.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:13 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18

Air pressure in tires and tread depth

Oil level (carry a spare quart just in case, but really shouldn't need it on a 3 year old car)

Also, when I go on a long trip, I generally carry a full-size jack and socket set (you just never know...), a first aid kit, a spare headlight bulb, a few rags/roll of paper towels, a reflective triangle, road flares (>2), a gallon of windshield wiper fluid, and a gallon of drinking water.

If it's cold/snow out, I will bring a box of hand warmers, one of those foil reflective blankets, a few real blankets, even more flares, a 7lb bag of kitty litter (for traction). I also carry on me at all times a multitool with bit set, and an LED mag-lite with four modes (100%, 25%, strobe, and SOS). And maybe a few spare sets of batteries.

But, this is in my 15 year old SHO, which goes through oil fairly quickly and goes through alternators even quicker. I also may or may not have spent most of my life in the Scouts.

But it has come in handy. Once, on my way home after a short at-sea period, I discovered the hard way that one of my caliper bolts had come out and the front caliper was now beating against the wheel (e.g. not clamping on the rotor). I pulled off (with e-brake), jacked the side of the car up with my jack and jack stand, pulled the front and back driver side wheels off, and took a bolt from the rear caliper (which never got used anyway due to f-ed up brake lines, but that's a different story), stuck it in the front caliper, reassembled, and drove home. It was about a 30 minute delay that, without the tools I had on me, would've been a 4-hour delay due to getting towed home, etc. etc. To add exigency to the story, my wife was waiting at home in a skimpy negligee, so I had plenty of motivation to get the hell home as soon as I could.

tl;dr be prepared - it never hurts.
Thats excessive, hes not driving around the world. Where are you going to put your luggage?
Old 10-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I think you're being a bit ****. It's an '08 so I doubt there are any age related issues. I occasionally put over 2000 miles; sometimes more; on my car within a 2 week period. Since I keep the car under such close scrutiny, the only things I check before heading out on a trip (and routinely) are tire pressure, tire condition, coolant level and oil level. I do my own oil changes, fuel filter changes, etc, so I know that they're always ready to go long distance.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

It's a good idea to flush the brake system every two years, whether or not you are going on a 2000 mile trip.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:07 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Thats excessive, hes not driving around the world. Where are you going to put your luggage?
Who needs luggage?

Yeah, a bit obsessive, but I am the guy that's always prepared. Besides, this is an extreme; I don't seriously suggest anybody else do that.

But checking tire pressures is never a bad idea.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:37 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Mustangmaster
should I take the car to the dealership and ask them to inspect it for safety? NO
The car is a 2008, purchased new in October 2007.
I have not taken the car in for service hardly at all. GOOD
They have not had a chance to fork anything up yet.

Only things that go wrong and fuel filters. 30K miles on the fuel filter
Read your Scheduled Maintance Guide thats in the glovebox.

I do my own oil changes and air filter changes.
What should be checked? I still have a thunk in the front end.
There is a TSB out about the thunk.
I haven't gotten that looked at yet. Its OK for now
I have never flushed the radiator. And you should never ever have to until later in life
I have a stick shift. Should any fluids be changed in the transmission or rear axle?
Tranny fluid is OK. Maybe its time to change to RoyalPurple
in the Tranny and RearEnd.
Rear end may need the level checked but the Synthetic lube is good for
100,000 miles according to Ford. According to me its junk lube and thats
what caused my rear end bearings to go south at just 32K miles...
along with the fact Ford didnt fill it up with enough fluid from the factory
(CHECK YOUR LEVEL)
Thanks in advance.
So drive it 2000 miles and enjoy. Dont worry and have an extra $500
that the dealership would have gladly charged you for looking
at your relativly new vehicle even though it is basically still new
but the owner wants to be sure and is bleeding $$.

You never once mentioned the mileage on this 2008 stang.
I guess it could have 200,000 on the Odometer. If so,
disregard all my answers and get her into the stealership
ASAP and trade her is on a new 2011 model...

Originally Posted by hawkeye18

Air pressure in tires
Thats what the TPMS is for, knucklehead

Holy analism, Batman.
Why not just tow a spare vehicle behind yours...???
BTW, a cell phone will eliminate about 98% of the junk that
guy wants you to haul around with you...

Last edited by 157dB; 10-02-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 mile trip, want to do safety inspection