Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage on the 2011 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
Living on campus which cost even more a year, and you can afford a new GT? Yet when I post I want to buy a new GT people rip me a new one and say I dont need one while in college.
Well I can afford a new GT because
-I'm an Air Force Cadet who gets my tuition and part of my housing paid
-I work part time outside of class as often as I can
-I've been investing and working since I first could get my working papers

I think it's mostly the fact that you claim that you need one, which causes people to rip on you.

Personally I realize I don't NEED a 2011 GT, heck I don't even need a car at all, but I've wanted a muscle car since I was really young and I've worked towards that goal and luckily enough for me I was able to achieve it. I won't deny that I'm lucky for owning the car I do though.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Showtime'85

AFSC?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Showtime'85
AFSC?
Currently unknown, I'm in my AS200 year so next year we'll finally get to select our priority ASFCs. Hoping to go Intel or Communications though, I originally planned to go through to being a development engineer but between the part time job, class, and AFROTC it's enough stuff to do as it is.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

3.73's. Get on average 25-26 highway in 6th gear from 60-70 mph. City driving maybe 19 mpg. Car has 600 miles and running 93 octane.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:51 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
3.73's. Get on average 25-26 highway in 6th gear from 60-70 mph. City driving maybe 19 mpg. Car has 600 miles and running 93 octane.
Wow that seems like good mileage compared to what I'm getting.

My stats are on 3.15s. Seems like I get around 16/23 with my setup.

Do you guys think a tune would be a good way to get better mileage? I've been teetering on the idea of it anyway so I'd love to see what you guys think. From what I've seen in other posts, this will likely result in bombardments of "GET A TUNE!" haha
Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by pdonket
Wow that seems like good mileage compared to what I'm getting.

My stats are on 3.15s. Seems like I get around 16/23 with my setup.

Do you guys think a tune would be a good way to get better mileage? I've been teetering on the idea of it anyway so I'd love to see what you guys think. From what I've seen in other posts, this will likely result in bombardments of "GET A TUNE!" haha

You gotta read OP (see below). I mentioned this fact twice already previously within your thread. It's not a bombardment its a simple fact..... Previously with the 2005-2009 a CAI paired with a tuner worked great in terms of results. Unlike for example my car. I'd need to do gears, exhaust, and a few bolt-ons to fully reap the tune. (just an example here, not this is limited too or all exclusive to what's needed to be done b4 a tune) You got life made w/ a 5.0 lol. But what mods do you currently have???
Originally Posted by sonicx
What are you talking about? hahaha... 3.73's are about 12% steeper than the 3.31's. That said you should see a reduction in MPG by about 12%. Im not sure about 4.10's. No if your looking for better MPG get a sct or diablo handheld and get your stang tuned.
....If anything is gonna get you better mpg itll be a good tune.

Last edited by sonicx; 10-05-2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

You gotta read OP (see below). I mentioned this fact twice already previously within your thread. It's not a bombardment its a simple fact.
Haha sorry, I appreciate it. I suppose I just like the motivation a little too much. I'm currently going through the feeling of "does it seem like it's worth it", and I have a feeling it would be to get a nice set of custom tunes from Bama or Brenspeed, i just have to smack my wallet into cooperation lol

As for current mods, it's bone stock with the exception of some Borla axlebacks I just threw on this weekend. Mind you that the car is currently only 5 days old
Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by pdonket
Haha sorry, I appreciate it. I suppose I just like the motivation a little too much. I'm currently going through the feeling of "does it seem like it's worth it", and I have a feeling it would be to get a nice set of custom tunes from Bama or Brenspeed, i just have to smack my wallet into cooperation lol

As for current mods, it's bone stock with the exception of some Borla axlebacks I just threw on this weekend. Mind you that the car is currently only 5 days old
The 5.0 is pretty beast already. If it were I. I think first i'd work on suspension (struts/shocks, FLSFC's, camber plates, LCA's). Then go back to the power. The only things i'd add to a 5.0 if i had 1 would be headers & exhaust & tune. You'd have a MONSTER haha

> get a short SHIFTER! (You'll thank me later )

oh i'd get 3.73's for sure if you didn't do that..... any mods already done???

PS: thanks for serving in the AF dude

Last edited by sonicx; 10-05-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:38 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

A 12% drop in fuel mileage due to 12% shorter gearing is probably not accurate. Perhaps if we are dealing with a constant speed, say, 80 MPH, that might be correct, but unfortunately there is no way to get to 80 MPH, short of a long down-hill slope!

A shorter gear will increase fuel mileage while accelerating as you are putting less load on the engine to attain the same speed. So in the case of exact throttle percentages, fuel mileage will actually increase when accelerating.

Depending on the spread of his driving, he may not even see a decrease in mileage. I, for instance, have a long highway commute to work, usually cruising around 70-80 MPH, 3.73 gears. I tend to average around 22-23 MPG, even though I hot rod it whenever the chance shows itself . I'd have to search up an old thread of mine to find out, but I believe my mileage when I drove to Canada was something like 25-26 average? 65-80 MPH the whole cruise.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
A 12% drop in fuel mileage due to 12% shorter gearing is probably not accurate. Perhaps if we are dealing with a constant speed, say, 80 MPH, that might be correct, but unfortunately there is no way to get to 80 MPH, short of a long down-hill slope!

A shorter gear will increase fuel mileage while accelerating as you are putting less load on the engine to attain the same speed. So in the case of exact throttle percentages, fuel mileage will actually increase when accelerating.

Depending on the spread of his driving, he may not even see a decrease in mileage. I, for instance, have a long highway commute to work, usually cruising around 70-80 MPH, 3.73 gears. I tend to average around 22-23 MPG, even though I hot rod it whenever the chance shows itself . I'd have to search up an old thread of mine to find out, but I believe my mileage when I drove to Canada was something like 25-26 average? 65-80 MPH the whole cruise.
OMG we're pass this already. But Im aware of this ^^ what were were talking about was changing up to a large gear say 3.73 or 4.10 over the factory 3.31. Your NOT going to see an improvement in mpg by upgrading. Not im w/ a 4.6 not a 5.0 so my numbers maybe a tad bit off here gesh. And yes you would get 22-23 mpg on the part town & highway mixed with 3.73. Its not a shocker. Your not going to see the same results in-town only or stuck in traffic. Especially if you are, "HOT RODDING it". You guys are acting like gears are the tall-tale cure all to get better gas mileage. NOT... rather by not punching it or revving it at every stop light, driving at a constant spd. BUT REALLY GO OUT & GET A TUNE. You said so yourself you got a long highway commute... thats mpg on the highway not intown. Im not disputing that.... rather im talking soley about in-town driving.

Last edited by sonicx; 10-05-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Mileage on the 2011 GT?