Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

@ dealer NOW to buy 4 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Tang 72
2nd Gear Member

4.6 > 3.8... the new v6s are really great... BUT Torque and potential take the 3v 4.6 a long way.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:43 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by douglasland
If you get a GT vert for 29 you are going to love that car!
My ONLY issue with the car..it's not my color. I love the Grabber Blue and White or Black. This car is Silver which is my least favorite. Pickings are slim. But the color is a big deal and I just don't think I would be 100% happy with the car in Silver.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wilkinda
We are talking 2010 GT to 2011 GT. Nobody was mentioning 2011 V6. Personally for my money.... I would still buy a V8 over a V6. For me at least, the stang is my week-end play toy so I could care less about the gas mileage because my 2010 got pretty good mileage and so does the 2011 GT.

If my option were a well optioned 2010 GT vs a 2011 GT Deluxe.... I'm still taking the 2010. In fact I am looking at a 2010 GT Vert Prem for $29K that MSRP was $42k.

As I already stated...this is my opinion. Others will disagree
yeah peopel always forget about torque... so you got your eye on a new stang huh... time to buy a 2010 for sure. i have the 05 vert before my 10 though, i woudl never go back to another vert. Too hot here in Texas for a vert 99% of the time. trading in your flex?
Old 10-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Don't forget the 3% holdback that the dealer gets, which is figured on the retail sticker before freight. If your sticker is $30k then there is an additional $900.00 in play money for the dealer. Also when I buy a new car I always go to the library and check the current issue of Automotive News which is a weekly dealer publication and check for the latest dealer incentives. You might be surprised what is left on the table. Always buy and negotiate with as much knowledge as possible. Ford employees A plan is figured on invoice less the holdback and national advertising. If you can get close to this then you have a good deal.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by ShaneM
yeah peopel always forget about torque... so you got your eye on a new stang huh... time to buy a 2010 for sure. i have the 05 vert before my 10 though, i woudl never go back to another vert. Too hot here in Texas for a vert 99% of the time. trading in your flex?
No I will be giving the Flex to the Fiance and I'll take her paid off 2007 Ford Fusion and trade it on the Stang. I had a 1998 GT Vert and I loved it for the most part... it was a daily driver and living in FL it was only driven with the top down in spring and late fall. This will be my week-end toy and club cruiser.

I really wanted to get the 2012 Boss... but I was informed no x-plan on the Boss
Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Ok... I made it out of the dealer and back home!! LOL...minus the 2010..

They didn't go down any further on the 2010, and I didn't imagine they would , since it was already under invoice and under x plan... they obviously deducted some of the hold back $.

The came back with $4K on the trade, lol.... Online Edmunds, etc had trade at 7 and change. I owe 8 and change on the car...so I would've been upside down almost $5K.. I said "no can't do it, thanks for your time", and walked out, as planned, not upset, but figuring they might call me during the week... I was 20 feet from my car and they called me back in, lol...They offered me $1K more for my car, so $5K... I said no, thanks.. I was willing and AM willing to be $2K upside down to roll into the new car, so figured if they call me on the cell , I would say "we're $4K upside down, let's meet 1/2 way, you eat $2K and I'll eat the other $2K".

The car drove great, obviously not noticebly faster than my 2004. It did shift smooth and drove awsome.. That plain clothe interior, at the moment looked great...

So in summary, I was getting the 2011 for the (whatever I listed on the 1st post) and $5K for my car after they added the extra $1K. They have my #, in case they decide to call back..

In MY opinion, the 2010 is not going to another $1K ++ down.. Will they be able to squeeze another $1K for my car out of somewhere ?? Who knows..

I ended up at the Car Max where they had the 2010 with 3K miles used.. I figured since car max is a tad pricey, they would give me more for my car, and it might be closer... I was right, they were giving me $6K for my car, so I was only upside down on the negative equity $2.5K... fair.. BUT something happened... I saw a Lexus IS20, 6 spd manual.. I sat in it and the inside was OBVIOUSLY soooo different than the 2010 plain clothe interior, I asked to test drive it, lol... I was this close <> to buying the Lexus... They swapped my insurance to the Lexus, switched the plates, I got approved by the bank... then, then after 4 hours, they said I couldn't transfer my tag for xyz reason... and needed to pay for a new plate... I said, "thank you", called my insurance, put it back on my Mustang, and left, lol...

So still with ole trusty which I love, my 2004 ... LOL...
Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
The V6 will never have the potential of the 4.6L V8. Thats just the way it is. I could have never bought a V6.
This is the truth. Even though the '11 V6 makes 305 crank BHP and the '10 4.6L makes 315 crank BHP, that says absolutely nothing. The proof is all in the torque curves.

For one, the torque curves are massively different. The 4.6L 3V has so much more area under its torque curve than the '11 V6 could ever dream of. The 4.6 3V has that torque where it counts: in the lower RPM bandwidth. The 3.7L V6 must rev much higher to reach the meat of its HP bandwidth.
The 4.6 3V can me modded like crazy to out-power the '11 C5.0 Coyote. The Coyote is still lacking in many aftermarket options, though they are slowly starting to trickle in over the months.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alexplantman
Ok... I made it out of the dealer and back home!! LOL...minus the 2010..

They didn't go down any further on the 2010, and I didn't imagine they would , since it was already under invoice and under x plan... they obviously deducted some of the hold back $.

The came back with $4K on the trade, lol.... Online Edmunds, etc had trade at 7 and change. I owe 8 and change on the car...so I would've been upside down almost $5K.. I said "no can't do it, thanks for your time", and walked out, as planned, not upset, but figuring they might call me during the week... I was 20 feet from my car and they called me back in, lol...They offered me $1K more for my car, so $5K... I said no, thanks.. I was willing and AM willing to be $2K upside down to roll into the new car, so figured if they call me on the cell , I would say "we're $4K upside down, let's meet 1/2 way, you eat $2K and I'll eat the other $2K".

The car drove great, obviously not noticebly faster than my 2004. It did shift smooth and drove awsome.. That plain clothe interior, at the moment looked great...

So in summary, I was getting the 2011 for the (whatever I listed on the 1st post) and $5K for my car after they added the extra $1K. They have my #, in case they decide to call back..

In MY opinion, the 2010 is not going to another $1K ++ down.. Will they be able to squeeze another $1K for my car out of somewhere ?? Who knows..

I ended up at the Car Max where they had the 2010 with 3K miles used.. I figured since car max is a tad pricey, they would give me more for my car, and it might be closer... I was right, they were giving me $6K for my car, so I was only upside down on the negative equity $2.5K... fair.. BUT something happened... I saw a Lexus IS20, 6 spd manual.. I sat in it and the inside was OBVIOUSLY soooo different than the 2010 plain clothe interior, I asked to test drive it, lol... I was this close <> to buying the Lexus... They swapped my insurance to the Lexus, switched the plates, I got approved by the bank... then, then after 4 hours, they said I couldn't transfer my tag for xyz reason... and needed to pay for a new plate... I said, "thank you", called my insurance, put it back on my Mustang, and left, lol...

So still with ole trusty which I love, my 2004 ... LOL...
You drive a hard bargain, and you should. I am proud of you and wish I was at the very least just as aggressive as you are when negotiating for my own car.

If many more car buyer were as aggressive as you are, we would see much better incentives on all cars, and even on the newer models. Come time for me to buy a new car, I plan to be extremely aggressive, even to the point that if I am not satisfied with all the dealerships in my own town, I will go out of town and start shopping an their dealerships until I find one that is willing to deal.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:47 PM
onegoal
Banned

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
This is the truth. Even though the '11 V6 makes 305 crank BHP and the '10 4.6L makes 315 crank BHP, that says absolutely nothing. The proof is all in the torque curves.

For one, the torque curves are massively different. The 4.6L 3V has so much more area under its torque curve than the '11 V6 could ever dream of. The 4.6 3V has that torque where it counts: in the lower RPM bandwidth. The 3.7L V6 must rev much higher to reach the meat of its HP bandwidth.
The 4.6 3V can me modded like crazy to out-power the '11 C5.0 Coyote. The Coyote is still lacking in many aftermarket options, though they are slowly starting to trickle in over the months.
agree. same with the new Camaro v6. Its torque, not HP I worry about. Id take my 06 GT over a 2011 v6.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:15 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

my post earlier was in reference to bang for the buck.

$24k for a year old model with 315 HP

or

$27-28K for a 400+ HP same year model car with factory warranty. it's a no brainer IMO. Get the 2011.

plus, you are saying the 2010 model you were looking out is the base GT. @ $24k and 1 yr old, that is pure crazy.

I still think the 2005-2010 cars are amazing. but in terms of bang for the buck, you are getting more value for your dollar to pick up a 2011 for just a little bit more money.

good luck with whatever you get. Wish my 09 had that 6 speed of the 2010+ cars.

Quick Reply: @ dealer NOW to buy 4 2010