Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

twin Turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
fleminem

Default twin Turbo or supercharger?

I'm a 17 year old, and a mustang enthusiast. While my friends want to get lambos, Ferarris, or a Bugatti I want a Mustang. What would the cost of a 2011 glass roof mustang with a V8 and twin turbo cost? And would it be better to have a Twin turbo, a supercharger, or both (what would the different price be)? Just to clarify there is no way in hell that I could afford this unless I sold my soul. Thanks for anything.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Harryman2002
3rd Gear Member

Holy crap! Your 17 and your friends are going to be getting $200,000 and up supercars?!?!
Oh and the twin turbo would be better for making TONS of power which you wouldnt be able to do on the stock bottom end anyways so just get the blower.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by fleminem
I'm a 17 year old, and a mustang enthusiast. While my friends want to get lambos, Ferarris, or a Bugatti I want a Mustang. What would the cost of a 2011 glass roof mustang with a V8 and twin turbo cost? And would it be better to have a Twin turbo, a supercharger, or both (what would the different price be)? Just to clarify there is no way in hell that I could afford this unless I sold my soul. Thanks for anything.
The 'Stang does not come with twin tubos...at least not yet. That is a trick up Ford's sleeve and they do not want to spoil it yet because the new 5.0 Coyote will be pumping out in excess of 550 crank BHP under twin turbos and direct injection. (This is called EcoBoost, and Ford is not putting that on 'Stangs until a later year).

So, for now, going twin turbos is only possible by ordering aftermarket sets. There are no twin turbo 'Stangs from the factory yet.

The thing with turbos, especially if your goal is ***** to the wall max HP, is that you have to have rather big and laggy turbos to do it. These are not so good for what you will mostly be doing: drag racing (most car guys do not ever take their cars to an oval track for top speed racing).

If you want to do drag racing (quarter mile ET's and all), going with smaller turbos to mitigate or even eliminate lag is the way to go. This of course sacrifices ***** to the wall maximum HP, but it adds more area under the torque curve where it is critical: at the lower end of the RPM bandwidth.

Optionally, for improved drag times, you could go supercharger, but you do have to deal with parasitic loss of power from the mechanical drives powering the supercharger lobes.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I would love to go back to 17....before reality screwed everything up!!!!!
Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I would love to be 17 again, except retain all my knowledge that I have now. I would totally redo everything I did wrong; I would never dare make the same mistakes that I know are mistakes again.

As far as cars go, I know it would be damn hard for me to fight the hormones to do something plum stupid such as street racing, but knowing what I know now, I would have made much better decisions as far as finding and shopping for a car as well as financing for one. Then modding it, and so forth.

And to burn off the urge to street race, I would have taken my car to the tracks on the weekends and pit myself against other car modders; partly as a wake-up call to realize that there will always be someone else with a faster car, but for the primary reason to run my car in a safe place intended for racing your car.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Old 10-10-2010, 03:45 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

**** you
Old 10-10-2010, 10:02 AM
UltraKla$$ic
3rd Gear Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by fleminem
Definitely do both!!
Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Start working your *** off and could have a stang with a supercharger in a couple of years, long before your buddies dreams come true. That is, if your smart and willing to sacrifice.

I bought my first brand new car at 19 myself.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:09 PM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

The thing with turbos, especially if your goal is ***** to the wall max HP, is that you have to have rather big and laggy turbos to do it. These are not so good for what you will mostly be doing: drag racing (most car guys do not ever take their cars to an oval track for top speed racing).

If you want to do drag racing (quarter mile ET's and all), going with smaller turbos to mitigate or even eliminate lag is the way to go. This of course sacrifices ***** to the wall maximum HP, but it adds more area under the torque curve where it is critical: at the lower end of the RPM bandwidth.

Optionally, for improved drag times, you could go supercharger, but you do have to deal with parasitic loss of power from the mechanical drives powering the supercharger lobes.

I guess we are doing it all wrong with our single turbo...lol

Quick Reply: twin Turbo or supercharger?