Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine after installing jlt cai and tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 AM
kingcaleb

Default Check engine after installing jlt cai and tune

Hey guys i'm new to the forums and need help. I just installed a jlt cai with an 87 street bama tune and now my check engine light is on. It went off when I reloaded the stock tune. I haven't tried my other custom tunes. I'm new to cars and this kind of stuff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

First check to make sure the CAI is installed correctly with no air leakage, then reload the AM/Bama tune. Contact AM regarding the tune if you get another CEL. Do you have any other mods? Do you have other tunes besides the 87? What happens with those?
Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Raven27
1st Gear Member

Try a different tune. If that works try the 87 tune again.
If any of them result in the check engine light, see if you can pull the error codes with the tuner and call Bama.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 AM
kingcaleb

I haven't tried any other tunes yet. I will after work. I read a review on am's site that said i'm supposed to select the jlt intake, do I? I didn't see where that was an option on the tuner. The only other mod I have are slp loudmouth exhaust.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:44 AM
kingcaleb

I haven't tried any other tunes yet. I will after work. I read a review on am's site that said i'm supposed to select the jlt intake, do I? I didn't see where that was an option on the tuner. The only other mod I have are slp loudmouth exhaust.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:54 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kingcaleb
I'm a bit confused. You said you have a Bama tune (which means AM). If you bought the combo from AM, then the tunes are written for the JLT and there should not be an intake selection required.

Since you reloaded the stock tune, did you also replace the stock airbox or are you running the JLT? The latter alone will through a CEL.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:04 PM
kingcaleb

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm a bit confused. You said you have a Bama tune (which means AM). If you bought the combo from AM, then the tunes are written for the JLT and there should not be an intake selection required.

Since you reloaded the stock tune, did you also replace the stock airbox or are you running the JLT? The latter alone will through a CEL.
Well I didn't see a place to select the jlt intake. So I don't know what that guy was talking about.

I'm still running the JLT, I just followed the instructions that came with the tuner on how to return to stock . The cel went off after I returned to stock.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Cobra Drifter
4th Gear Member

Adding a CAI usualy requires a tune. Since you got a tune with yours when its loaded and the JLT is on you should not get a CEL. If you reload the stock tune then you should switch back to the stock air box. You shouldnt do one without the other.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Your best bet is to hook the tuner back up, re-load the 87 tune, then check to see which code is coming up. Install the tune as you did before, let your car run for a minute or two to let the code come back, and then use the scanner to figure out which codes are present. To do that, go to the main menu on your device, then select the Vehicle Info Icon that says "Check Engine". Select the "Read DTC" icon, and follow the prompt to turn the key on, press select and wait for the codes to come up. Make sure you write them down, and then give us a call at 888-226-9764 to let us know which codes are present, and any running problems you may have noticed while the check engine light was on.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:09 PM
rls82959
3rd Gear Member

He left the intake on and put the stock tune back on!! It threw a code.
When you return to the stock tune you need to put the stock air box back on.

See cobra drifters reply.

Quick Reply: Check engine after installing jlt cai and tune