Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i has a problem with the 3.7L Motor

Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 AM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

Default I have a problem with the 3.7L Motor

We purchased a 2011 Mustang with the 3.7L V-6 in June. In August, we started noticing a tapping sound under the driver's side cam cover. Sound got progressively worse so we took it to the dealer this Monday. Upon removing the cam cover, the technician noted visual damage to two of the followers. Data was reported to Ford. Just got off the phone with the Ford dealer. Ford now says they are aware of a problem with the 3.7L V-6 with regards to early failure of the followers. They have no solution and they have instructed the dealership to put the (damaged) engine back together and give the car back to us until they figure out a fix. Thanks for nothing Ford! I guess they didn't have enough money to do real testing and their business model is that the Ford customer will do their durability testing for them. Meanwhile we're stuck with a brand new car (~6K miles) that has a bum engine. Ford just lost a customer forever.

Last edited by tr6nut; 10-17-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

First I heard of it. But kinda sucks that they just say here keep driving it until we figure out a solution... I would be mad too.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

That has lemon law written all over it. If you have documentation proving that the company has no solution right now and literally told them to put the damaged engine back together and send you on your way. You should be able to lemon law that car.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

In a bit of a related matter, I scanned some reliability data this morning that seems to indicate a rather disturbing trend for the 2011 Stangs. I'll try to post the link.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:46 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

so they said they didn't currently have a solution but would notify you when they did? What more do you want them to do?

If you think any car or engine platform launches perfectly, you are a bit naive. If they don't fix it in a reasonable amount of time, try to get it lemon lawed. Ford might even offer to buy it back from you to use it to find a solution to the issue, this is a common practice.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:53 AM
tr6nut
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
so they said they didn't currently have a solution but would notify you when they did? What more do you want them to do?

If you think any car or engine platform launches perfectly, you are a bit naive. If they don't fix it in a reasonable amount of time, try to get it lemon lawed. Ford might even offer to buy it back from you to use it to find a solution to the issue, this is a common practice.
Read the whole post. It's now making bad noises when the engine runs. The followers are damaged. The car is only 4 months old. Overhead cam systems rely on smooth surfaces on the cam lobes and the followers. The engine no longer has those smooth surfaces and the wear will now exponentially increase with further operation. What they should do (right now) is replace the followers and the camshaft so the normal engine function is restored. Then they can take their sweet time engineering a permanent fix. What they want to do it give us back a car that could cease functioning (from complete follower or cam failure) at any time in the near future.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:00 PM
NDN GQ
2nd Gear Member

The first generation Audi/VW 2.0T motors seem to have a very similar issue as well but the failure seems to happen right around the time your warranty would go out. I'd protest the dealership to replace the follower as a fix till something premanent comes along. Sorry you're having to deal with this.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
so they said they didn't currently have a solution but would notify you when they did? What more do you want them to do?...
To imply to a customer "Here's your unrepaired car back. We'll get back to you." is irresponsible and near-criminal. A responsible company would make some type of repair or put you in a loaner; not send you on your way with a new car that's been diagnosed as unreliable and on the verge of engine failure.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I would definitely go to the dealer and immediately demand a loaner....at the very least.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:20 PM
RichieCal
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to hear about the car..Wow problems with the 3.7, I've read several posts about 5.0 problems, sounds like Ford should have done more testing on these cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i has a problem with the 3.7L Motor