Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of Koni yellows and Steeda Springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Skullbussa
1st Gear Member

Default My review of Koni yellows and Steeda Springs

After spending 5+ weeks evaluating suspension tweaks for the S197 on this forum and others, I decided to give Sam Strano a call and discuss my options with him.

My goal: To eliminate wheel gap without the slammed look; to tighten down the car and get rid of the bouncy ride; to make my car feel like an E92 (2008+) M3.

Sam gave me a list of options and probed me with further questions. Ultimately I decided to take a granular approach and stick with just shocks and springs and then do more things if that wasn't good enough.

I paid a local shop (Super Tune Performance in Stillwell,KS) to perform the work. I was charged $530 for all installation and alignment.

First, the appearance:

Name:  KfMCL.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  193.2 KB

(pardon the dirty car and bad photo - just bought a new Nikon D7000 and haven't figured it out yet)

I like the look of the drop. It's basically exactly what I wanted. I'm sure many people would say I should have dropped further but I wanted to maintain enough travel for the suspension and avoid the "low and flat" look where rake is eliminated.

Driving impressions:holy.....sh*t

My first reaction to driving my car was fury. Not because I was disappointed in the car but because I was disappointed in Ford. There is absolutely ZERO reason Ford should not include a suspension setup like this from the factory.

Before I say anymore, let me say that I have owned and modified cars for the past 15 years. This is the best modification I have ever had done to any of my cars.

The Brembo cars are the best handling Mustangs I have ever driven but they still weren't up to my standards: a little too bouncy, car takes a nosedive under heavy braking, far too much body roll, pleasantly soft but a little too vague. Not with the Koni Sport adjustables and the Steeda Sport Springs!

Bounce? Almost completely eliminated.

Nosedives? No more. When I hit accelerator now, the car just goes - I am no longer treated to a view of the sky.

Body roll? I am taking turns flat out at speeds much higher. Even the crappy Mustang seats are able to hold me in place now because I'm not rolling around in them.

Soft? Not any longer. I can feel what is under me now. But let me be sure to explain: this car is MUCH more comfortable to drive than it was before. Going over a pretty poor bit of highway on my daily commute I noticed how much better the car could tackle the road imperfections without punishing my back. I can feel that they're there, but it is much less annoying than before.

So for $1000 in parts and $500 in labor I have a car that is more comfortable to drive, much more FUN to drive, and makes my car look a lot better. I've spent a lot of time in the new M3 and while I still think that car "feels" better (probably due to much superior tire, seats, and steering rack) I think that my modifications have eliminated 95% of what I would consider a "fun deficit" between my car and the M3. Add that to a car that has a superior engine and a $30k cheaper pricetag, and I think this is the best performance bargain this side of a C6 Grand Sport.

Parts ordered:

Koni Adjustable Sports (Yellows) http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...199&ModelID=35

Steeda Sport Springs
http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...205&ModelID=35

GT500 Upper Strut Mount
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...P-Strut-Mounts

(I got the ones for 2010 and not 2011 - not sure what the difference is)

Note - I did not get an adjustable panhard bar as my car was not dropped low enough to require one.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:02 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Okay I have to ask. But how can the ride both be stiffened, yet also let you feel less uncomfortable when going over semi rough patches of road?
Old 10-16-2010, 06:44 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Nice! Thanks for the review + links.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:46 PM
MarkMan
4th Gear Member

I'm glad I read your review! I have pretty much the same thing, waiting on the struts to arrive, before I install everything! Sounds like Sam steered you in the right direction. Now I'm really ready to get it all done!
Old 10-16-2010, 08:06 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

looks nice and thinking about getting those Koni as well..but have to say $500 to install those springs that is WAY over priced it is not a hard job at all.
Old 10-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

Awesome. I'm currently kicking this idea around as well. Was going to include the panhard and LCAs as well. Still unsure but mainly because of money.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Sicrose

nice job
Old 10-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

I did the same install, Koni STR.T....Steeds HD Strut Mounts and the car is solid. Did it myself, took about 4 hours. Very impressed with the handling, it is however a bit more stiff and you feel more, as can be expected!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:51 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

Could you please post more photos from various angles? I'm about to pull the trigger on almost the identical setup from Sam. Why did you get the GT500 strut mounts and not the Sttedas?
Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Roy_R
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
Could you please post more photos from various angles? I'm about to pull the trigger on almost the identical setup from Sam. Why did you get the GT500 strut mounts and not the Sttedas?
I bet cause they are less expensive....if you feel the stiffness on some road surfaces, you'll wish had the Steeda HD strut mounts. Much better quality, and the also allow you to set the camber.

Quick Reply: My review of Koni yellows and Steeda Springs