Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mod help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:07 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

Default Mod help

Ok, i recently got my first mustang. its a 4.6L 06 gt premium manual transmission. I'm looking to modify it over the winter while i wont be driving it. my problem is the very little i know about cars. i live in jersey where the emission laws are very tough, and i want to keep my car street legal. I'm going to be adding brembo slotted big brakes and gt4 rims. i want to do borla S-Type catback exhaust, Ford Racing CAI & SF3 Tuner tuned to 93 octane, Ford Racing High Performance Intake Manifold, BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body, Stack Racing Mustang Throttle Body Spacer, Ford Racing Natural Shorty Headers, and Steeda Billet Charge Motion Control Plates.
I'm wondering if any of these are unnecessary (wont add any gain or help improve the life of my cars engine) or would make my car illegal. and if adding Ford Racing Hot Rod Performance Cams is a good idea after those upgrades.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:19 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

I can just tell you off the bat that the throttle body spacer is useless and not worth it.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChrisIA
...I'm going to be adding brembo slotted big brakes and gt4 rims. i want to do borla S-Type catback exhaust, Ford Racing CAI & SF3 Tuner tuned to 93 octane, Ford Racing High Performance Intake Manifold, BBK Twin 62mm Throttle Body, Stack Racing Mustang Throttle Body Spacer, Ford Racing Natural Shorty Headers, and Steeda Billet Charge Motion Control Plates... and if adding Ford Racing Hot Rod Performance Cams is a good idea after those upgrades.
  1. Brembos: unless you're doing track or motoX, not necessary IMO unless you want to spend the $$
  2. catback: any exhaust work after the OE H-pipe adds NO performance; only sound
  3. FRPP CAI & blah tune: the FRPP tune is timid compared to the much better custom tunes from AM or Brenspeed; probably by as much as 10RWHP or more better
  4. BBK TB: useless unless you're FI or have done cams and LT's
  5. TB spacer: do you really want us to laugh at you or will you use it as intended? a paperweight or Xmas ornament.
  6. Shortys: very little bang for the effort. better to shoot for LT's w/hi flow cats
  7. Delete plates: lots of arguments over the effectiveness. many claim low end loss, others love it
  8. cams: good choice if done with LT's
Short of going FI, the CAI & custom tune is the best bang along with LT's/cams. After that it's nickle and dime stuff.

You left off gears, UDP's, aluminum DS, electric water pump...

Of course, even after the CAI & tune you'll need some suspension work or at least better rubber to hook-up. All of these are legal.

Last edited by Nuke; 10-18-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:41 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

I figured new tires would be assumed. sf3 tuning is AM, i do have a budget so i have to put off suspension till spring. i looked up the high flow cats and everyone says there illegal for jersey. im also putting on a gts-4 hood. i know the catback exhaust wont add any true gain but i do love the sound and with the manifold i should see about 3-5rwhp gain from it.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Take the $$ for those mods and go FI. No sense beating around the bush (Ok, pascal. Go for it...).
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Take the $$ for those mods and go FI. No sense beating around the bush (Ok, pascal. Go for it...).
Lol.... drum roll
Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM
ChrisIA
1st Gear Member

haha. i know $2,500 for brakes is crazy but but its just something i want for it. i haven't made up my mind which clutch to go with and gears. manly cause i know nothing about them. im also still wondering whether to go with drag springs or performance lowering and struts.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM
MUSTANGLOVER73
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChrisIA
haha. i know $2,500 for brakes is crazy but but its just something i want for it. i haven't made up my mind which clutch to go with and gears. manly cause i know nothing about them. im also still wondering whether to go with drag springs or performance lowering and struts.
get a set of used brembos or takeoffs off of a gt500. thats what i did and i didnt spend $2500 either.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...s#ht_500wt_956

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...#ht_500wt_1182
Old 10-18-2010, 06:36 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Your about spend some serious cash. Just bolt on a m90 and call it a day!
Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I'll confess I didn't read any of the replies but here's my take on your original question. Ditch the FRPP CAI and get like a JLT for example with an SCT tuner, Ditch the BBK throttlebody and get the L&M, get the Steeda CMCV plates, ditch the shorty headers and get a set of long tubes. If you're able to buy a few items at a time it will also save on tune money.

Quick Reply: Mod help