Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer - gt500 conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:47 AM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

You know, I looked at both of them on the truefiber website and for the life of me I couldn't see a difference. They looked identical to me. Maybe pics don't do em justice.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 AM
HoboDxb
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by riskyfool
You know, I looked at both of them on the truefiber website and for the life of me I couldn't see a difference. They looked identical to me. Maybe pics don't do em justice.
The slit in between the two intake vents is much more prominent in the Venom while in the Venom II hood its more subtle and makes the vents look like one big vent. The gt500 KR has the Venom looking hood while the Supersnake has the Venom II looking hood.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:34 AM
2007 grimlock stang
1st Gear Member

Just don't put any GT500 badges on your car.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Great choice! My sig is your future look. Let me know if there is anything I can help with and post finished pix in the GT500 conversion thread

Originally Posted by 2007 grimlock stang
Are you seriously going there bro? Never gets old
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I want an animal to run into me so i can do a GT500 conversion on the cheap...

:-(
Old 11-03-2010, 12:12 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by HoboDxb
The slit in between the two intake vents is much more prominent in the Venom while in the Venom II hood its more subtle and makes the vents look like one big vent. The gt500 KR has the Venom looking hood while the Supersnake has the Venom II looking hood.
OK, got it. I think the car the used in the pics of the Venom II hood kind of hide that but now that I know what to look for I see what you are saying.

Originally Posted by 2007 grimlock stang
Not intending to at the moment but depends on what the grill looks like empty. From what I understand their is a place built in to the grill to mount the snake. If it looks too obvious that something is missing I just might have to fill it.

Originally Posted by MELLOWYELLOW06
Great choice! My sig is your future look. Let me know if there is anything I can help with and post finished pix in the GT500 conversion thread

Are you seriously going there bro? Never gets old
Yep! Love your car. And there is something you may be able to help me with. I wouldn't mind removing the GT badges on the side and just having it with nothing there. How do you removed those? And if you do, then are there holes left behind them that need to be filled? Or are they on there with adhesive?

Originally Posted by S197GT07
I want an animal to run into me so i can do a GT500 conversion on the cheap...

:-(
Just dumb luck, I guess, and I AM psyched. But I'd probably prefer keeping it stock and not hitting the deer if could go back in time and avoid the accident. Now the car does have the stygma of having been hit on a carfax report. Though I don't have any intentions of ever selling...you never know.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by riskyfool
OK, got it. I think the car the used in the pics of the Venom II hood kind of hide that but now that I know what to look for I see what you are saying.

Not intending to at the moment but depends on what the grill looks like empty. From what I understand their is a place built in to the grill to mount the snake. If it looks too obvious that something is missing I just might have to fill it.

Yep! Love your car. And there is something you may be able to help me with. I wouldn't mind removing the GT badges on the side and just having it with nothing there. How do you removed those? And if you do, then are there holes left behind them that need to be filled? Or are they on there with adhesive?

Just dumb luck, I guess, and I AM psyched. But I'd probably prefer keeping it stock and not hitting the deer if could go back in time and avoid the accident. Now the car does have the stygma of having been hit on a carfax report. Though I don't have any intentions of ever selling...you never know.

The "GT" badges are held on by adhesive and 2 alignment holes so if your going to go "Badgeless" have the body shop fill the holes for you since they are going to have to feather your paint over the quarter panels anyway to match your new front end to the car.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Here is a friends write-up (sleeper2) from the past:

This is a picture tutorial about changing your fender badges. It includes measurements of the mounting holes in the s197 fenders, which I haven't found anywhere else. I know this is a basic task, but hopefully this information which is from several threadswill be of help to someone. Note: thereare many other methods, feel free to chime in.

The first thing to do is to get your stuff together: besides the badges, you need
1) painters masking tape
2) sticky out (or some other citrus-safe goo remover)
3) WAXED dental floss
4) alcohol pads
5) cotton rag

Frame the present badge with tape for reference later. (I find this a LOT easier than measuring.) Then, use the dental floss trick to take the badge off. This takes a certain knack to do. Be patient and experiment. Some people use a hair dryer, but I don't feel comfortable doing that.

This photo shows the famous fender holes that everyone asks about:

Here is a crude diagram I made of the dimensions of these holes, in case you want to know if your new emblem will cover them. (Horizontal and Verticle measurements are from hole center to center):

Last edited by MELLOWYELLOW06; 11-03-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Thanks CutterWolf & MellowYellow...Car was finished and I could not have asked the shop to remove and fill holes in time. And probably would've cost extra anyway. I may follow the write up you posted sometime, though.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Got it back! Car is everything I wanted it to be. The hood does ride very slightly high because of the JLT intake. So I will file down the cutout in the box and it will cure that. Here are pics. I know I still need to lower it. That's on the very long list!

Quick Reply: Hit a deer - gt500 conversion question