Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 10-27-2015, 10:50 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Passenger side cabin leak FIXED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Carcrazycorey1
2nd Gear Member

I tried asking around to fix this as well, and gave up and called the dealer. They said to pull the grommet and sure enough it was full of muddy water and debris. Replaced the Cabin air filter as well. I had at one point a good 3" of water in the passenger side. I was very angry to say the least.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:31 PM
v606er

Sorry for the old bump but...

I removed those rubber downspout things about a year ago, and for minor rains I have no leaking issues, and I usually park with the nose of the car pointing downhill.

However, with major rains, or when I park with the nose uphill, I still get water in the passenger side.

Is there any real fix for this?

Also, as long as I'm posting about water, sometimes I also get water built up in the side panels just behind both doors. I have a convertible, so the water that runs down has to exit through little holes, which have obviously become plugged. I fixed it by blowing compressed air up into the drain holes on the bottom of the car, just in front of the tires. So far no issues with that in the past few months, but has anyone else experienced this? You can hear the sloshing when accelerating or stopping.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Have you removed the little plastic piece in the bottom 2 door drain holes? I found those pieces to hold crud.

I can't recall what the TSB fix calls for but I believe the cowling has to be removed. I do recall the TSB saying not to use RTV but I believe at least one forum member has succeeded in eliminating his leak with RTV. I'd like to know because my '07 leaks. But since it's only been in the rain twice when I noticed it leaking (she's not my DD and a garage queen), I haven't been too anxious to fix it. At least the SJB's in the 07's have the little "awning" to help prevent (more like limit or postpone) damage.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:51 AM
v606er

Originally Posted by Nuke
Have you removed the little plastic piece in the bottom 2 door drain holes? I found those pieces to hold crud.

I can't recall what the TSB fix calls for but I believe the cowling has to be removed. I do recall the TSB saying not to use RTV but I believe at least one forum member has succeeded in eliminating his leak with RTV. I'd like to know because my '07 leaks. But since it's only been in the rain twice when I noticed it leaking (she's not my DD and a garage queen), I haven't been too anxious to fix it. At least the SJB's in the 07's have the little "awning" to help prevent (more like limit or postpone) damage.
I haven't removed the plastic cowling where the windshield wipers are, but what is RTV?

I'll have to look into the 2 door drain holes. I have noticed those things though. Dunno why I haven't pulled them out.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:23 PM
David Bunch

Default Soaked 2005 Stang

done the drain and was good for almost a month, it has rained the last few days so I start to vacuum the car and boom front and rear floors are soaked. drains are clear the cabin filter is dry, Any Ideas?? Thanks
Old 08-21-2015, 08:00 AM
Hogquad

HI all

I'm new here and from the UK. I work on a buddy GT500 and his car has been plagued with leaks! I found the usual suspects but Ford have acknowledged that where the cowls tangs clip onto the scuttle panel they pass through a foam seal which deteriorates over time. There is a repair kit with better sealing available. I will try and get the part number and post it here. However the common "crud plug" at the bottom of the cabin filter area is a real pain and has to be cleaned once a month here in the UK.
As an aside there is another one of these plugs on the other side of the scuttle hidden under the wiper motor. It doesn't "crux" up as readily as the other side but when it does it's very possible that it results in the wiper motor electronics sitting in a bowl of water. I am currently replacing the wiper motor and the wiper motor plug as the car went on fire after a particularly heavy rain storm. With that said I am also looking for help as the plug was destroyed on the left side a s you look at the top of it. The Black and Brown wires, Negative and Positive respectively had come adrift and I have no way of knowing which way round they go into the new plug. Can anyone help with this please?
Old 08-12-2016, 10:08 AM
rsfdiver

I read the problem comes from under the plastic piece covering the windshield wiper motors where two body panels meet, needs sealant.
I dont think 2 little plugs half way down the fire wall is the culprit. Still researching the issue for we had 5 to 6" of rain in 4 hours and I had 2" of water on passenger side.
sucked.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:32 AM
Adam Pickard

I had the same problem. Drain was clogged and water gushed into the passenger floor mats through the cabin air filter. Thank goodness it was an easy fix.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:42 PM
2012Owner

Angry

Originally Posted by Dale House
bm2088hp, THANK YOU!! I have had the water leak for a week now and it has been raining hard in Texas. I went and washed my baby today and had about 2 gallons of water rolling around on my passenger side. I was going nuts!! I just used your fix and it is fixed! Thank you so much!!
Actually, it's not a fix but more like regular maintenance, making this a pain the **** after each significant rainfall and any time you go through a car wash - just not acceptable.

I find it hard to believe there isn't another option tied to this problem.

Has anyone tried sealing the top of the cabin filter compartment or some other add on to divert the water?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

Recently ran across an article about Police Cruisers, don't recall more than that, except it was saying the manufacture shipped the cars over to somewhere else to be outfitted with the "Police" lights, horns, and what have you. That the customizer was not sealing his newly ported wire holes and such, and the police were getting carbon monoxide poisoning. FWIW

Quick Reply: Passenger side cabin leak FIXED!!!