Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trying to save my pennies for the procharger... But this is hard

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 11:21 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
EASY, pascal. I didn't say UGLY... in my post. Even money doesn't always make ugly acceptable (but it certainly can help).

How much are we talking though?
Old 10-27-2010, 11:37 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

ditto.. also remember that you're driving around with $6k under the hood, that is not insured, and if something were to happen to it(front end collision), you're pretty much screwed.

I talked to my insurance company awhile ago and they said that if i keep my receipts to everything that i have done to the car and then I was in a wrech it would be covered. I do not have a supercharger but have one coming this spring. I suppose i should ask about just the supercharger when i get installed to see what they say about that. Id even be willing to pay a little extra to have it covered in a crash. Doesn anyone know for sure that its not covered by the insurance company. Im sure it depends on the company.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
How much are we talking though?
How much MONEY or how much UGLY? If I recall it's a non-linear relationship (i.e. if you double the ugly then you must quadruple the money). Someone must have developed a matrix or graph for this...

Old 10-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Wouldn't you prefer to use a 5th power relation by reason of fatigue on the eyes?

Norm
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

so you tint your headlights and now you need HIDS

just because you have the front end off you need to put in hood pins

have you thought of what other purchases you are going to need/want after you get the supercharger?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:53 PM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Did you tint the head lights yourself with vinyl or did you purchase them tinted?
I installed the vinly tint on my tail lights, side blinkers and 3rd brake light, which I can take off at anytime.
At this time, the hood pins are Unnecessary.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
Wouldn't you prefer to use a 5th power relation by reason of fatigue on the eyes?

Norm

Maybe we should simplify this by reason of "beauty is just a light switch away."

(nothing like 2 topics at once...)
Old 10-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson
I think you need to learn how to make thoughtful and more fully informed purchases, and how to better resist "impulse buying".

Hood pins will probably always be around, so there is no real urgency here other than the emotional pressure that you're putting on yourself for those.

You've found out that tinted headlights isn't exactly a great idea. How much $ all told is it going to cost for the headlight tint plus the headlight upgrade - to maybe put you back where the OE headlights were in the first place? I'd call this an expensive lesson, where the tint should have been postponed until you knew about and were better able to afford the entire package.

I won't say how I know this - other than that it is not from my own personal situation - but you have no idea how deep of a hole you can dig for yourself if you insist on spending beyond your means.

Norm

Norm is saying exactly what I was. Listen to us experienced people.
I know you don't want to hear this but I don't think you can afford a supercharger, even if you had the money saved up right now.
Reason being is that you are going to have to have money after that on tap pretty much all the time.

If I were you and I wanted power I would add upgrades at a slow pace.
4.10's here, intake there.. etc.. etc.
You will STILL need some extra money for emergency etc. but this way you can at least HANDLE something if an unforseen even happens.

I know you are young and it seems hard to understand.
But if you just save up for a SC you could very well end up
bringing the demise of your car and end up having to get rid of it in the future because you are having problems and cannot afford to fix them.
You could even at some point lose your whole engine. It happens to people all the time. What would you do then?

You would lose the investment of the blower and then need cash for
basically a complete rebuild. If you get a superchareger the smartest thing you can do is be ready and have the cash for a new engine if something happens. A supercharger leaves many little things that can go wrong that can lead to catastrophic failure of it and your engine.
That is why is is best left to those who both have the cash, and have the
personal knowledge on how to take EMACULATE care and matienence of them.

That is one reason I myself have not gone F.I.
I know that if my engine went capooot I would not have the means
to get another one.

Plus consider this... adding one performance mod at a time that allows you to build up power along the way is FUN. It gives you goals to set while at the same time gives you rewards faster than having to save up for so long. Plus it gives you quite a sense of pride adding all these things and coming up with your own combo's of mods. It's great to sit back and see the work in progress come fold. To see your plans come together.

It is not about the destination, it is about the journey... and I have LOVED mine so far, even with though I myself WITHOUT a supercharger have had to spend more than I thought due to unforseen problems along the way.

The supercharger is just a BAD idea for you in my opinion. You are not at the point finacially to where
you can handle all the things that come along with it.
I know they are cool but you don't want to risk the entire Mustang you love so much for the supercharger

Save up your money for some cams, etc. At your age that is plenty to save up for.
And believe me you will enjoy the HELL out of these mods.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 10-27-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 02:56 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Not to mention the 500 u need to spend on gauges and where ur goona put them and depending on your mechanical skills it will cost you another 150 to have them insalled. u could easily end up with all most a grand just in that. I know the pillar for the gauges is around 129 b/c i just ordered one. Plus u might want to get a steeda oil seperator which is around a 100. so there is more than than just the cost of the supercharger that he needs to be thinking about.

Plus a dyno run (250) if u want a reliable tune

Plus install of around 600 there again that depends on u and your mechanical skills

thats around 1600 before supercharger
Old 10-27-2010, 03:23 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

I think ya'll scared him away...

Quick Reply: trying to save my pennies for the procharger... But this is hard