Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 GT running bad on start up/OK warmed up.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:35 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

I now have 60# injectors, but my rough cold start and hesitation issue was present before I had the 60#'s and the new Livernois tune put in.

Even if I've parked the car after it's warmed up, and I've been parked in cold weather now doing errands for two hours, the car still starts up strong and only hesitated a short bit till warm up after the initial cold start that same day in the morning. It seems the issue is really only present if there is no heat in the block at all, because even some heat from hours before results in normal starts and only very brief luke warm hesitation for me.

The good news is my new Livernois tune has run for 450 miles without pulling a code, so it seems so far, the o/2 sensor issue is not present, and the car accepts the A/F of the tune, where as I was getting a too lean code from the original JDM tunes, and a too rich code from the MRT tune. The Livernois tune is running great so far, beyond this mysterious cold start and hesitation issue.

I had a real bad start this morning, the car sputtered and would not juice enough to get going for three tries, then after a very large cloud of rich smelling exhaust which looked like cannon fire, did I leave the garage. Then as always, with in three minutes, the car was totally normal. The battery is turning over very strong though, just not the engine, seems the gas is being restricted initially. That's all for now everyone, please keep this thread alive till someone comes up with a common element here with our cars and this shared issue. Thank you all, Erik
Old 12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Problem solved. I went to Donny Walsh in Wixom, and Donny and Justin wrote me a tune from the ground up. He had my car re-flashed with the Ford Factory tune, and built a custom tune that has eliminated all the engine warning lights for A/F, eliminated all cold start, idle, and low rpm hesitation and stall issues from my car, and would not release the car back to me until any and all drivability issues were solved by testing the car on the street as well.. He did this in a very timely manner, with many other cars and projects going on in his shop.

Livernois insisted I put a lager MAF system(2600, one size fit all)) on the car even though my potential HP is under 460rwhp. This actually inhibited the tuning of the car, for both Donny and the tuning at Livernois. Since it narrows the tuning band choices, the larger MAF was counter productive and a waist of my money.

Both Livernois and MRT really did not tune my car properly, and need to stop handing cars back to people with such unresolved and crappy tune parameters still persisting on the cars.

This has been a waist of a total of $3,000.00 dollars for me between MRT and Livernois, and a total of 3 months and one week of the car being out of my possession in good driving weather. All I wanted was a 05' Mustang platform custom tune 10lbs, on my Saleen twin screw. Not asking a lot really, but now I realize why so many people stay with JDM quaility mailed tunes, because of this kind of crap.

Thank you Donny Walsh and Justin @(Walsh Motorsports). Erik
Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Sorry that you had such an outlandish and unneccesary experience but very thankful that you stuck to it and finally have resolution. Yours is a stark reminder of the importance of a tuner that knows what he's doing.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:29 PM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Nuke. I have been very lucky for most of the time I've had the car, first for being able to have the Saleen SC and suspension put on at the Orange County Saleen plant back in Jan. of 06' with their 435HP tune(4-5lbs boost) and then discovering JDM and getting quality tunes and a lot of very clear advice from them. Jim Jr. and Sr. have always helpfully answered questions over the last four and a half years, even when they're real busy.

It was only when I required a custom tune that everything went sideways, and I realized all the stories I've heard on the Forums were now my story, and it was because I didn't go with my gut, and go to Donny Walsh in the first place, as he is known as a great custom tuner/engine builder/drag racer, and is a very honest person. That was my fault, and I payed for it. Erik