Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit a deer - gt500 conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:54 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Default Hit a deer - gt500 conversion question

I hit a deer this weekend with my 2005 GT and crumpled the front end pretty badly. I spoke with the collision shop and they said they had no problem if I wanted to go aftermarket custom instead of stock replacement.

I would like to do the GT500 front end conversion. If I do that, is the cobra hood about the only option I would have that would fit correctly? Does anyone have any other suggestions for a hood that fits properly with the GT500 front end on a regular GT?

I really like the look of Pascal's hood but I seem to recall him saying he had to do some modification to make it fit. But if anyone has suggestions of hoods that would work I would like to look into it.

Thanks
Old 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

You can make any hood work, but most will take modification. Ask pascal what e had to do to his. From what I remember (and I dont remember much), he had about 4 hours extra labor into it when I asked a long time ago
Old 10-18-2010, 03:03 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Thanks. I guess I'd like to find something that would pretty much bolt on without modification if possible, because I'm not sure just how far the collision shop is willing to go for my repairs. Probably just paint and install I would think.

It does look like there are a few options out there though.

That said, is there any reason I should avoid a fiberglass hood? Many of these aftermarket hoods appear to be fiberglass. Anything wrong with that?
Old 10-18-2010, 03:13 PM
geocomp
2nd Gear Member

My Stock hood fits fine with no modifications. No reason to change hoods if you don't have to. If you would like I would be glad to sell you mine as I am in the market for a different hood.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Dreamtheory
4th Gear Member

cant believe im the first to do it......

Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dreamtheory
cant believe im the first to do it......

Old 10-18-2010, 03:42 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

Go with the TruFiber Venom hood if you're getting a new hood (look at GT500KR conversion done thread)
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by geocomp
My Stock hood fits fine with no modifications. No reason to change hoods if you don't have to. If you would like I would be glad to sell you mine as I am in the market for a different hood.
Thanks for the offer geocomp. If I'm able to do the conversion, I actually would like to go with a different look than the stock hood. Might as well do the work done when insurance is helping to cover some or most of the cost.

As for pics, it happened at night and my cell phone wouldn't take a good pic of it. I might get back to the shop to take some pics, though. Be nice to have some before and after shots. The front is pretty mangled and full of fur. and the hood is crumpled. Also has a broken headlight on driver side.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:55 PM
riskyfool
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 09cs
Go with the TruFiber Venom hood if you're getting a new hood (look at GT500KR conversion done thread)
Great recommendation - thank you. I just looked at the TruFiber website. What is the difference between the recessed version and the nonrecessed version? To my untrained eye, I couldn't tell the difference.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
09cs
5th Gear Member

The recessed hood has holes drilled in it for the twist lock hood pins (again look at the GT50KR conversion done thread by MELLOWYELLOW06) he has the recessed hood. With that hood I think you also need to buy the twist lock pins seperate, the non recessed hood does not have pre drilled holes for the twist lock hood pins.

Quick Reply: Hit a deer - gt500 conversion question