Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Paint Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Alec
Holy hell. I'd be PISSED and would camp out at the dealer until they corrected the issue. Prep/paint on these cars... epic failure
Agreed. I certainly wouldn't wait too long to get that fixed. I'd be afraid of it getting much worse.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:31 AM
jtfrog
2nd Gear Member

07 with 12,000 miles and clear us comming off under both quarter windows.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:03 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

jtfrog can you get some close ups?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If the clear is coming off around the windows, then it has been repainted and who ever did it never took the windows out.
Amateurs it was.

@kzonts... Same thing.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:28 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

I think Ford probably has the worst paint robots in the world, or at least terrible prep, or a combination of both.

My 1993 Ranger (bought new) had clear coat peel around the window edge seal after 2 years.

My 2000 F150 (bought new) had too much orange peel and dirt in the paint on several of the panels, "fish eye" on another.

My 2004 Expedition (bought new) had too much orange peel, and slightly off paint matching on the plastics parts, paint bubbling under tailgate.

My 2005 Mustang GT was bought used, but the paint is original. The orange peel isn't too bad, but I have the paint bubbling under the hood, which appears to be common.

I'm a Ford guy, so I've learned to live with it. Most of this stuff I've been able to correct pretty easily with my detail guy.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
If the clear is coming off around the windows, then it has been repainted and who ever did it never took the windows out.
Amateurs it was.

@kzonts... Same thing.
Ok. We'll take a closer look at it. He bought the car used so who knows what the deal is.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-23-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:03 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

If he bought it used, look no further...
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 AM
eolson
3rd Gear Member

Exactly. Re-painted issues it sounds like. The only issue I've ever had was little rocks that are kicked up by trucks, and if your good, your match kit is really helpful with the front facia.

I've never had a clear coat issue though.I've never heard of clear coat coming off before unless the cars being bleached in the sun and has had bird poop eat at it at the same time. Erik
Old 12-23-2011, 07:57 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Geez....I thought I was buying my mustang for the power. I'm sure Ford could paint these better than they do, but then they'd have everyone lining up complaining about an extra $1000 added to the price tag. They gotta keep costs low and frankly, these are still worth every penny. If I want to show my car, then I'd better be ready to spend 10k on a paint job too because factory paint does not a show car make.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Paint issues are directly related to environmental concerns. Painting creates a lot of fumes. Body shops in CA are only allowed a limited amount of painting per year, and some refuse to paint a full car, they will paint the smallest area they can get away with. They are also limited to the type of paint they can use.

This is one reason the paint on new cars is so thin. The less paint used the fewer fumes are released.

Car manufacturers cannot use the paint they would like to use, they can only use paint approved by EPA. A large part of a great $10,000 paint job goes to permits to be able to spay the car enough to wet sand the color coat and still have enough color coat on the car.
Wet sanding the clear coat does not remove orange peal in the color coat, it just makes it harder to see. You car will look better temporarily, but it does damage the clear coat and it will not last nearly as long.

Quick Reply: Ford Paint Sucks