Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Paint Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 AM
Tanner05
Chop Mod

I have an 05 I only bought it a yr ago. I want to know what Ford dealers use to cover up paint chips, because when I bought my car the only paint chip it had was just below the head light... now I have a ton of chipping all over the front bumper... maybe the original owner had the bumper repainted. It looks horrid... :/
Old 11-09-2010, 03:37 AM
RedRob

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
I dont think I have ever seen a production car that did not have orange peel..Unless you paying for a Ferrari or something that goes that extra step because of the price.
you dont have to go the such an extreme as ferrari, have you ever been to a bmw dealer?.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:14 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
haha, its funny you bring up the 97-99 camrys, cause when I had mine it was EXACTLY as you said, the body was a beautiful deep red, and the rear bumper was a matte red that contrasted horribly (especially in the sun), so yeah even the well known asian manufacturers have their quality issues when it comes to paint, if that makes anyone feel better. Ill be the first to attest to that!
Yeah, it was due to the type of urethane they used on those bumper covers at the time.
It's not as bad now but any brand car that you see on the dealer lot will have the color off if you pay close attention.
Color match was OK in the 80s when urethane covers became standard on almost every cars, but plastics were prone to stress cracks (or plain disintegration on Cadillac and Buick inserts).
Later on, you had a real winner with Ford Tauruses, Tempos and Aerostars etc... lol.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:49 AM
majik755
2nd Gear Member

My Mustang is not bad at all compared to some of my other cars, I don't think any manufacturer out there does a decent job. I swear I justing looking at my wife's Lexus the wrong way will cause a scratch to appear. I just keep it cleaned and polished and cross my fingers...
Old 11-11-2010, 08:12 PM
carguygt
2nd Gear Member

My 2011 has chips on the fenders, hood, bumper, mirrors etc... only has 3k on the odo, and most is city driving, its pathetic... Im going to get it redone at a different place, as I talked to ford, and they even said, that the paint they use now is water based, and chips easier, and will fade easier...but its "better for the enviro"...FVCK THAT ****!!! Who cares about that crap??? I want my 40k car to look good, not look good for a few kms, then look like a pimply faced teenager..
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

@carguygt- If you are going to any shop to get your re-painted or touched up even, be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. I say this from experience (as limited as it may be =) because when I had my old car, I wanted it repainted, and they quoted me well over 4k. And the better places will likely charge you more, so if that is in your price range-GO for it. (just steer clear of generic places like maaco) and itll be fine. But my experience was not pleasant.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

Obviously Ford's paint quality sucks, I'm surprised there is a thread to point this out..lol
Old 11-12-2010, 05:33 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

I haven't had any issues with the paint on any Ford I have owned. My cousin's Civic? Fade and clear coat peeling off. Orange peel aside of course, but I am not expecting perfection from a discount manufacturer. Just keep it from fading/peeling after 5 years.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:30 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RedRob
you dont have to go the such an extreme as ferrari, have you ever been to a bmw dealer?.
you must go to a special dealer. Cause the Detailing forum I am on they talk about how bad BMW have orange peel
Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
jhawkr
2nd Gear Member

My 2010 with 4900 miles has a couple chips. The 1st one I noticed at about 500 miles. The paint is thin and cheaply done. Fortunately, the primer underneath seems to be holding up well.

Quick Reply: Ford Paint Sucks