Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to buy a 2011 5.0 need advice is navigation worth $2,340?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 AM
5ohwhoa

Waste of money, IMO.

#1. How often do you need to use a GPS? I use my GPS perhaps 3x/year and that's typically after I've flown somewhere, while in a rental car. Integrated GPS won't work for me there.

#2. I've never met an integrated GPS system that I liked. The ones I've had experience with are inferior to what you can buy at Best Buy for $200.

#3. Upgradeability. You can always go buy a new, portable GPS with the latest and greatest technology. Not so with an integrated unit.

#4. Climate control and backup camera. Not much of a benefit for me, for $2k I can handle using my mirrors and turning the ***** on the A/C myself.

I mean, if you take a lot of road trips and have the money to burn, by all means, go for it. I'd recommend the Brembos and the 3.73s instead for the money.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

I just installed aPioneer AVH-P3200DVD Navigation Package in my '06 and I think it was worth the $570. It includes the Pioneer AVH-P3200DVD and AVIC-U220. You can get a rear view camera and steering wheel controls as optional add ons. There is also a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT that has Bluetooth. You could spend less than a $1000 dollars and have it all.

I'm not sure how difficult a head unit replacement is on a new Mustang but my '06 was not that bad.

The Nav on the Pioneer is easier to use and is at least as good as my Tom Tom, and doesn't drop off my windshield at the worst possible moment.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

I had it in my 2010 and loved it. But I put about 25k miles on it in less than a year. So I travel ALOT. Comes in handy I think and I am one of those that HATES loose cables or shyte stuck to my windshield or dash. If ya can afford it than do it. If ya can't ..than don't
Old 11-07-2010, 02:53 PM
conway4x4

After watching youtube videos looks like it is a really good navigation but does anybody know if i get the 500 could i buy the navigation bezel to use to put in a aftermarket navi
Old 11-08-2010, 07:25 PM
NDN GQ
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5 Dot 0
Was a factory NAV an option in your car?
The SYNC system that you'd get wasnt an option but an OEM one was for 2009. My car wasnt custom ordered. It sat in the showroom before I picked it up.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

I don't travel in my GT but it does come in handy even locally. I've had nav in my Infiniti, Nissan and now my wife has nav in her 2011 BMW, all I can say is compared to my Ford nav with sync my wife's BMW nav looks like an old calculator!!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:57 AM
hoodlum54
1st Gear Member

Default grain of salt

Take what anyone that doesn't actually have the system in their car says with a grain of salt. People who don't have it have already made up their minds that the system isn't worth the money. Most probably haven't even used it and are simply speaking out of ignorance. (No offense to the few that have used it and don't own it) They're the same people that compare this nav unit with others. Put simply, if you think this nav unit is ANYTHING like ANYTHING else out there, you've clearly never used it. I drive a g37 journey coupe for work, my grandmother owns a lexus, and my grandfather owns a BMW 770. All of them have nav, and all of them fall horribly short of this system. They're ok, sure, but this is in a different league. This is bar non the best in the business and everyone (who knows anything about nav) knows it.

The question you have to ask yourself is: do I have the money to spend? If you do, go to bestbuy and check out tom tom's, nuvi's and whatever. Then go to a BMW dealership and test drive one of their cars with a nav. Then go to your ford dealership and use one of theirs with nav. Your mind will be made up for you. The other systems are a joke. If you have the money to spend, trust me, you'll spend it after you use it. If you don't have the money to spend on it, do yourself a favor and don't EVER touch it or use it. You'll always regret not getting it. My .02.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:07 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hoodlum54
Take what anyone that doesn't actually have the system in their car says with a grain of salt. People who don't have it have already made up their minds that the system isn't worth the money. Most probably haven't even used it and are simply speaking out of ignorance. (No offense to the few that have used it and don't own it) They're the same people that compare this nav unit with others. Put simply, if you think this nav unit is ANYTHING like ANYTHING else out there, you've clearly never used it. I drive a g37 journey coupe for work, my grandmother owns a lexus, and my grandfather owns a BMW 770. All of them have nav, and all of them fall horribly short of this system. They're ok, sure, but this is in a different league. This is bar non the best in the business and everyone (who knows anything about nav) knows it.

The question you have to ask yourself is: do I have the money to spend? If you do, go to bestbuy and check out tom tom's, nuvi's and whatever. Then go to a BMW dealership and test drive one of their cars with a nav. Then go to your ford dealership and use one of theirs with nav. Your mind will be made up for you. The other systems are a joke. If you have the money to spend, trust me, you'll spend it after you use it. If you don't have the money to spend on it, do yourself a favor and don't EVER touch it or use it. You'll always regret not getting it. My .02.
I don't think it's so cut and dry. It really depends on driving habits overall and what people want out of their car. If you plan on just driving around on the weekends in your car locally, then getting a nav is just not worth it...not built in, not standalone.

In addition, both people with and without one are equally biased. Of course if you own one you're going to want the OP to buy one too, very likely when you bought the car you deemed the option worth it. Same goes for those who didn't, they didn't think it was worth it and won't think it's worth it for someone else either.

I would say if you can OP, find a 2011 with a nav unit installed and test drive it, ask them if you can use the nav for a few different destinations and then figure out whether you believe it's worth the investment. We can all tell you one way or another but ultimately we all have different utilities for nav units and some of us are cheaper than others or just don't have the money flat out.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 PM
2005WBvert

I have this nav system in my 2010 F150 FX4. At the time didn't really want it but it was part of the packages I wanted for towing and so on. Its awesome. Like mentioned before you get travel link with sports scores, movies, weather, fuel locations and prices (when close to empty gas station locations automatically appear), and the list goes on and on. I also have a garmin I bought before the truck. Nowhere near as good. Plus you get the sirius radio, back-up camera. Its awesome. I know a mustang isn't the same as a truck for commuting and long trips, but after using it, its well worth it. Am glad I got it. And that $2400 doesn't raise your payments that much
Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by conway4x4
I def want to buy a new 5.0 with manual dark gray..... is the factory navigation worth $2,340? seems like alot but I've look everywhere to find a factory navi center console to swap in so I could buy an aftermarket unit but no luck is it possible to do that?

sorry just dont want to miss out/waste money
How many maps can you buy for $2340.00?

Quick Reply: Want to buy a 2011 5.0 need advice is navigation worth $2,340?