Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modding and Warranties...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 PM
jsnyng
2nd Gear Member

I've really got no dog in this fight either. It seemed like a hit and run post to get people riled up. I just posted what I could find. You can tell from my signature that I'm not that concerned with a warranty.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I read from the above posts that it states damaged CAUSED BY as well.

I'm not reading anywhere on there where it states simply modding
it voids the warranty. I think someone is misinterpreting the print if
this is the document they are reading.

As for my talking about it being illegal just to print that modding
alone would void the warranty...
It sure as hell should be.

Even though it is not false advertising... they are printing either
what would be... a falsification, misleading customers, OR an admittance to trying to break the law
by voiding your warranty for modding only which is illegal.

That sure would solve people's problems as to modding or the "pantie wearers" as some
in this thread call them lol.
But I wish as far as that is concerned you can wish in one hand and **** in the other and see
which gets filled first eh?

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 11-07-2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
And what size panties DO you wear?...
Nuke,

I dont wear panties anymore i graduated to thongs. But hey thanks for asking. As for the post you commented on if you assume i am a "panties kind of guy" then thats fine... i could make assumptions about people all day based on a 1 line sentance on a message board. But i grew out of that phase in 3rd grade. As for my warranty, i have a 7 year 75,000 mile one. Thats not going to stop me from modding my car, i was only posting that to provide options to others that may wish to protect theirs. But hey we all gotta swing our cyber ***** around sometimes, thanks for trying to make my forehead your target. Next time get a little closer, 3 inches isnt going to cut it.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 AM
Coyote 5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red-GT500
Nuke,

I dont wear panties anymore i graduated to thongs. But hey thanks for asking. As for the post you commented on if you assume i am a "panties kind of guy" then thats fine... i could make assumptions about people all day based on a 1 line sentance on a message board. But i grew out of that phase in 3rd grade. As for my warranty, i have a 7 year 75,000 mile one. Thats not going to stop me from modding my car, i was only posting that to provide options to others that may wish to protect theirs. But hey we all gotta swing our cyber ***** around sometimes, thanks for trying to make my forehead your target. Next time get a little closer, 3 inches isnt going to cut it.
LMAO!!!!! I thought he just had a panty fetish!!!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Red-GT500
... But hey we all gotta swing our cyber ***** around sometimes, thanks for trying to make my forehead your target. Next time get a little closer, 3 inches isnt going to cut it.
Originally Posted by Coyote 5.0
LMAO!!!!! I thought he just had a panty fetish!!!!!
Chit, my cover's been blown...

Red-GT500, my posts were not neccessarily aimed at you but more so at those that DO sweat warranty to the point of NOT modding. I hate to see folks intimidated by the stealer.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:15 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Nuke, you panty sniffer you!!

The people really taken by the dealer are the ones purchasing an extended warranty from a 3rd party (not Ford) IMO...
A little off topic but it's still worth to mention.
Also, those cars are reliable enough that the point is moot, unless you're a slob and destroy anything you touch.
My neighbor paid over $900 for an extended warranty that he never used on his now 190K miles explorer, lol.

Be careful guys, that in these times of uncertain economy, lots of providers of said warranties are now gone or the fine prints were so fine that it covers almost Zip, maybe a window switch, OOPS!

I will agree with the OP that if you buy a car with the intend to mod it, you have no business worrying about any warranty.
It's like wanting to play with the big league but can't let go of Mommy's hand...
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 AM
Red-GT500
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Chit, my cover's been blown...

Red-GT500, my posts were not neccessarily aimed at you but more so at those that DO sweat warranty to the point of NOT modding. I hate to see folks intimidated by the stealer.
Well when you ask what size panties do you wear i would assume its aimed at me. Truthfully, i wasnt even offended. I just couldnt miss the oppertunity to poke fun at you for that comment.

I also hate the stealership, they wont stop me from getting 600 to the wheels.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 AM
JobeNole44

Does anyone know for a fact if the dealerships can detect if a tune has been loaded and then unloaded? How is it different than the battery being pulled for 30min? Has anyone ever re-loaded the stock tune and still been caught or are people talking out of their @$$ when they say "the dealer will know if you remove a tune"?
Old 11-08-2010, 09:09 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
I just went through the actual supplemental warranty guide. Here's what it says verbatim:

Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
The New Vehicle Limited Warranty does not cover any damage caused by:
• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis,
or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor
Company
• tampering with the vehicle, tampering with the emissions systems or
with the other parts that affect these systems (for example, but not
limited to exhaust and intake systems)
• the installation or use of a non-Ford Motor Company part (other than
a certified emissions part) or any part (Ford or non-Ford) designed
for off-road use only installed after the vehicle leaves the control of
Ford Motor Company, if the installed part fails or causes a Ford part
to fail. Examples include, but are not limited to lift kits, oversized
tires, roll bars, cellular phones, alarm systems, automatic starting
systems and performance-enhancing powertrain components or
software and performance ‘‘chips’
This still reads to me that they have to prove that your mods caused the failure.
I will admit, I'm only on page 2 but I am highlighting the most important thing I have seen yet, as what I have highlited, bolded, underlined, and made huge is what your afforded protection under by the magnuson moss warranty act.

Originally Posted by JobeNole44
Does anyone know for a fact if the dealerships can detect if a tune has been loaded and then unloaded? How is it different than the battery being pulled for 30min? Has anyone ever re-loaded the stock tune and still been caught or are people talking out of their @$$ when they say "the dealer will know if you remove a tune"?
And posts like this are why threads like this are damaging. Who cares if they know it was tuned. Unless the tune is what caused the problem they still have to fix it. If you can prove that you purchased a tune from a reputable vendor and that you didnt cause a unsafe condition in your engine, they need to prove that the tune caused whatever the problem is you created. The biggest concern with a tune would be if you bricked your cars computer. Its very very rare, but does happen. Then when you have to go to the dealer and they have to plug in and return your computer to stock, they have the right to charge you, because that problem you did cause. But anything else is on them.

Last edited by JDWalton; 11-08-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
modaddict
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I will admit, I'm only on page 2 but I am highlighting the most important thing I have seen yet, as what I have highlited, bolded, underlined, and made huge is what your afforded protection under by the magnuson moss warranty act.
Agreed - that is the exact verbage I was talking about it and I have already heard of 2 instances with 2011's where the warranty was voided when the car was taken and they were seperate dealerships at opposite ends of the country.

This is not a hit and run 'pot stirring' post - that is just a dumb *** thing to say. Warning people to be careful of possible warranty failures is not stirring the pot. Save that crap for when I tell you that you don't know jack about ford motors or 3 link suspension...

As far as tuning - rumor has it the new processors are able to leave imprints of tuning changes that the dealer can pull - but I have not confirmed this yet - only rumor but it would not surprise me since nissan started doing it 2 years ago.

The point is only to imply that if warranties are a big concern to you for whatever reason - then you may want to play it safe and just leave your car alone performance-wise... that is all - nothing more.

Last edited by modaddict; 11-08-2010 at 10:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Modding and Warranties...