Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Universal Turbo Systems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 08:48 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

I have watched, time and time again, people on the RX7Club getting these turbo kits, and just having a massive WTF?!?! when they end up failing.

A real Garrett (that's the GT part) 45 will run you upwards of $2,000.00. A GT-45, which is included with a full piping and intercooler kit, for under $3,000.00 is absolutely fake.

In most situations, these turbo housings are not only two pieces mated together when they should be one continuous casting, but they are held together with glue. No, not welded together. Glued.

Let me say this loud and clear. Do not buy.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:11 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Now that's almost funny.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Roush06GA
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy
Now that's almost funny.
are you looking at any other kits
Old 11-10-2010, 06:12 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

Forced induction is not something to be done "on the cheap". Pay for a good solid proven kit or wait.

Last edited by forensicsteve; 11-10-2010 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush06GA
are you looking at any other kits
Any and all.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Oh. And I talked to my local performance shop. He was not familiar with the kit but said his biggest issue with these things is that they say they're universal but that the only universal thing is the fact that they end up needing to be customized to fit. He said you'd be surprised how fast the labor adds up and that it would be better to put that money towards the kit itself.

He also confirmed that i should go the turbo route. For clearance reasons. My hood necessitated I remove my strut tower brace. He said I might get lucky and find something that's low enough but that he normally has to remove the brace for superchargers so my hood would interfere with that.

So I guess to modify my answer to whether I'm looking at other kits...yes, other turbo kits.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I'd put it on a 2v and see if it works well, but not on my 08
Old 11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tracedaddy
Oh. And I talked to my local performance shop. He was not familiar with the kit but said his biggest issue with these things is that they say they're universal but that the only universal thing is the fact that they end up needing to be customized to fit. He said you'd be surprised how fast the labor adds up and that it would be better to put that money towards the kit itself.

He also confirmed that i should go the turbo route. For clearance reasons. My hood necessitated I remove my strut tower brace. He said I might get lucky and find something that's low enough but that he normally has to remove the brace for superchargers so my hood would interfere with that.

So I guess to modify my answer to whether I'm looking at other kits...yes, other turbo kits.
theres always centrifugal supercharges if you are worried about clearance issues
Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by forensicsteve
Forced induction is not something to be done "on the cheap". Pay for a good solid proven kit or wait.
^ This
Old 11-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Tracedaddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
theres always centrifugal supercharges if you are worried about clearance issues
Now see. This is why I'm on this forum with tech questions. Never heard the term "Centrifigal Supercharger". Time to Google to see the difference.

Quick Reply: Universal Turbo Systems