Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Package...or Nah?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 09:57 PM
REBEL5.0

Default Track Package...or Nah?

Hey y'all. I'm Cole and I'm looking to purchase a 2013 GT as soon as I land my next job. My question is, is the track package worth buying? I'll be buying used of course but the reason I'm asking is I'll e using this car for the 1320 primarily. It will go on the mountain roads sometimes but handling will not be its top priority. I won't be doing any auto cross or anything of the like. Just roll and dig races. I know what the track pack comes with (wheels, brembos, 3.73 LSD, cooling system, strut bar, etc.) but for what I'm using it for, do I really need it? The gears are probably the most important thing, especially for drag racing and I do love the 19" GT wheels it comes with as well as the brembos. Keep in mind, I'm still learning a good bit about this generation mustang so please bear with me. I'm looking for answers from people who have experience. Any opinions, advice or facts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:31 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Do you want it? Get it.
Don't want it? Don't get it.

Welcome to the forum. There's not much to say on your question since it sounds like you have already made up your mind. It's not like HAVING the track pack will make you unhappy but NOT having it could give you buyers remorse.

/solved
/endpost
Old 02-28-2015, 11:40 AM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

I have an '05 GT, well kept, sadly not modified. I have no doubt that the newer models have improved upon it. That being said my last car was a BMW 3 Series with all the suspension mods you can have, a tweaked engine and set up for road racing type driving in the Santa Cruz Mountains in CA just about every weekend if I wasn't on my motorcycle. I went through 30 sets of performance tires on the BMW, they were not too expensive. Truth be told, the '05 GT does very well in stock format. If you are a real go-getter in the mountains, mods may be what you want, if you just want to have a little entertainment, maybe not. I do have the CAI, that does give you more fun coming out of corners! FWIW

Last edited by algregory; 02-28-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:46 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by algregory
I have an '05 GT, well kept, sadly not modified. I have no doubt that the newer models have improved upon it. That being said my last car was a BMW 3 Series with all the suspension mods you can have, a tweaked engine and set up for road racing type driving in the Santa Cruz Mountains in CA just about every weekend if I wasn't on my motorcycle. I went through 30 sets of performance tires on the BMW, they were not too expensive. Truth be told, the '05 GT does very well in stock format. If you are a real go-getter in the mountains, mods may be what you want, if you just want to have a little entertainment, maybe not. I do have the CAI, that does give you more fun coming out of corners! FWIW
And what does this have to do with the OPs question about the track pack?
Old 02-28-2015, 04:26 PM
spectreman
2nd Gear Member

I like the track pack on my '14. It is a far superior handling car than my former '08 Bullitt was & I thought that car handled pretty nicely. I also had a set of Steeda sport springs installed on the '14; w/the stock springs, the car just sat too high IMO. I did it mostly for appearance's sake but the car now also corners much more flatly than w/the TP OEM springs. Other than the addition of camber bolts & an alignment, I did no other mods to any of the suspension.

IMO, the TP is a win-win but like w/any other high performance add-ons, expect to pay lots more when it's time to fix things. For example, as I'm told, the brake pads on the Brembo's are gonna put a serious dent in your wallet when it's time to replace them. Yes, they are strong & work great but here's to hoping they have a good life expectancy.
Lee
Old 03-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

I've got the track pack with the TORSEN diff/3:73
its amazing. i love it and don't regret it. The breaks are awesome, when I'm on the mountain road i feel the diff working amazingly. the torsen helps you avoid fishtailing and gives you amazing traction. The engine is also tuned slightly differently as far as i have been told. My track pack 14 gt runs 5W 50 engine oil. thicker than a non track pack mustang. its supposed to be able to handle being driven harder better.

when i bought mine, i went in knowing thats what i wanted. In my eyes, i could buy a base model and eventually want the taller gears and bigger brakes but it works out more expensive. so i made sure i got one with the track pack.
(Same deal with the RECARO seats. i wouldn't trade those for anything!)
Old 03-01-2015, 02:42 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
I've got the track pack with the TORSEN diff/3:73
its amazing. i love it and don't regret it. The breaks are awesome, when I'm on the mountain road i feel the diff working amazingly. the torsen helps you avoid fishtailing and gives you amazing traction. The engine is also tuned slightly differently as far as i have been told. My track pack 14 gt runs 5W 50 engine oil. thicker than a non track pack mustang. its supposed to be able to handle being driven harder better.

when i bought mine, i went in knowing thats what i wanted. In my eyes, i could buy a base model and eventually want the taller gears and bigger brakes but it works out more expensive. so i made sure i got one with the track pack.
(Same deal with the RECARO seats. i wouldn't trade those for anything!)

I don't have any mountains/hills where I live but I agree with this 100%. The track pack was a must have for me even though I don't track the car. Just a great value all around if you get it from the factory.