Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Ambient lighting on premium only...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

Default 2011 Ambient lighting on premium only...

Well the only option that I desire from the gt premium package is the ambient lighting. Does anyone know how hard it would be to install this on a base gt? If I have to, I will spend the extra cash if I must, but I do not want leather. Any ideas?
Old 11-10-2010, 07:56 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop
Well the only option that I desire from the gt premium package is the ambient lighting. Does anyone know how hard it would be to install this on a base gt? If I have to, I will spend the extra cash if I must, but I do not want leather. Any ideas?
Interesting selection as the only option from the premium package that you value lol.

In any case, I would think that installing it yourself would be a big PITA...it would require cutting a ton of holes throughout the car, finding good LED modules to splice into cables as well as good transparent caps to fill your custom made holes...also would probably end up needing a third party control unit for it that wouldn't give you the range of colors of the mycolor option on the premium.

Honestly, if it were me I would say that the enjoyment of the ambient lighting would be far from worth all that trouble. And if you don't want the leather or other features of the premium, I don't think it's worth putting your money into the package either since you'll be getting a lot of what you don't want for one thing that you do want. And at the same time it's a load of cash out of pocket.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

thanks, another option I have is buying the car and swapping th seats. I think I can probably get a decent amount of cash for the seats to help offset the cost
Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

So funny. I turn OFF the ambient lighting.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

It's cool, but my wife wants to know why we need to see our feet when we are driving at night lol
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 AM
v6motorheadftop
2nd Gear Member

lol I want it more for safety reasons. My future wife likes the idea of them lighting when you enter, but wants to have them off while driving. I do not care either way, but I do like the idea of having the lighting for when little kids are riding in the back. I think it's more or less a nice piece of mind
Old 11-11-2010, 03:14 AM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Just swap the seats. You'll get pretty good money for them from some base owner that wants them in his. Far easier to swap the seats then the lighting.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

I like them, especially if I drop something on the floor or want to find change in my cupholder without turning the map lamps on
Old 11-11-2010, 06:06 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by v6motorheadftop
thanks, another option I have is buying the car and swapping th seats. I think I can probably get a decent amount of cash for the seats to help offset the cost
You might want to consider asking the dealer if you can custom order a 'Stang with all you want. For example, start with the bare base model GT (300A) and custom order it to have just what you want.

They might be able to place such an order to the factory.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a trip to autozone and an afternoon project to me
Bet you could even find lights that change color, if you wanted the full effect.
This is my second car with ambient lighting and I can tell you, while its a cool feature, its nothing you can't live without...or can't pull off for about $50 yourself....and Ford charges how much????lol

Personally, I would tell you to get the premium....you deserve it!

Last edited by mayo; 11-11-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ambient lighting on premium only...