Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 in nothern climates

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:08 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by AllGT
Yeah.. cant wait! Ya know though I'm getting really sick of this 80F weather in LA in November! I cant wait to move to Chicago at the coldest possible time.
Your trying to pump yourself up for this move I see. When is there ever a really good time to move to Chicago???
Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blue GT Mustang
The 150-200 lbs. can be rolled quarters, cause you're gonna need them for the toll roads.
+1

$3 just for the Skyway.. *cough* rip off *cough*

Salt is nasty for the paint and chasis.. not much you can do aside from keeping it off the street. Washing the salt off helps as it will just eat away at the paint if you leave it, not to mention if you park on the street and the salt truck comes rolling by...

Might want to look into getting some winter tires while you're at it.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 PM
Rocket Ray
2nd Gear Member

The county I live in has a huge salt mine, it is literally cheaper than sand here. Also, very hilly here, so salting the roads is encouraged by the local population. No car built today stands up well to salt. Mine is stored in my barn during the winter, I literally put it up just today. Yes, the newer cars are much better than the ones built in the 70s and 80s, but all cars will eventually rust when exposed to salt. The question you have to ask yourself is, how long do I plan on keeping this car? If 10 or 11 years max, go for it. I don't like the new body style (2010+) so I plan on keeping mine til death do us part. I have other vehicles I drive in the winter, so mine sleeps salt free until spring.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Vegas = No winter.

Heck, I don't even own a jacket (REALLY!!) since it only gets down into the 40s

Off Topic I know... Just throwin' that out there...
Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 PM
JimC

I have 157,000 miles on my car and drive it year round. No rust, the undercarriage is in great shape. I run it through the spray wash once a week with a bottom blast and spray out the wheel wells.

I don't put any extra weight in the trunk and run on the all season stock Pirelli P-zero tires. Haven't been stuck anywhere, and have gotten to work every day (50 miles one way trip)
Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by alkemist
+1

$3 just for the Skyway.. *cough* rip off *cough*

Salt is nasty for the paint and chasis.. not much you can do aside from keeping it off the street. Washing the salt off helps as it will just eat away at the paint if you leave it, not to mention if you park on the street and the salt truck comes rolling by...

Might want to look into getting some winter tires while you're at it.
Orlando is really bad when it comes to toll roads...
If I was to use the express way (road 417 and 408, about 12 miles one way) to go to work and back everyday, it'd cost me $120 a month!!!
How's that grab you?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

Here in ohio we sometimes get large dumps of snow, but it is only 3-4 times a year at most and clears up fast. The only real problem is ice, but if you don't drive like a jerk, you should be fine. It never really gets below 20 here, and usually stays up between 25-30 in the worst parts of winter.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 PM
GlassVapor
2nd Gear Member

The snow and salt will trash your car both inside and out. Buy a beater and store the stang or you will be sick in spring. Btw salt trucks were out here today doing the bridges ftl
Old 11-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Guizmau

Hello there,
well, I am living in Bozeman, Montana and didn't have a lot of problems with my 2007 mustang.
Only problem I got was the battery dying the first winter, I found out I could plug my car on sector to keep it warm when I wasn't driving it. I can't remember how it's called, kinda like a heating blanket keeping the engine/battery warm.

My P-zero were good enough for the first 2 winters, I just changed them for studded Firestone Winterforce and I am happy about them so far. I also did put a couple bags of salt in the trunk.

I have also been driving my mustang only if really needed, ie shopping or going to see friends. I have only 7200 miles on it!

The worst that happened was a hail storm that pretty much put dents all over the car, nothing much you could do about nature... The car went to the body shop this morning, they will remove the dents and redo pretty much the paint all over, and paint racing stripes at the same time (I'll put pictures for sure!)

Anyway, who would buy a mustang in Bozeman anyway... A crazy French guy x] And I am proud of it...

Hope this help!

P.S: I just registered on this forum a week or two ago, this is my first post! Thought it was a good time to post
And sorry if I made any mistakes, since I am French, my English isn't my first langage :s
Old 11-15-2010, 09:58 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Orlando is really bad when it comes to toll roads...
If I was to use the express way (road 417 and 408, about 12 miles one way) to go to work and back everyday, it'd cost me $120 a month!!!
How's that grab you?
Damn, like paying taxes wasn't enough to use freaking roads. Toll roads are the huge annoyance. Either pay for convenience or get stuck in traffic because cost of living is so high as it is.

Originally Posted by Guizmau
A crazy French guy x] And I am proud of it...
LOL you're not the only crazy french guy around here.. you should meet our resident crazy french guy.

Quick Reply: S197 in nothern climates