Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197 in nothern climates

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 03:44 PM
AllGT
1st Gear Member

Default S197 in nothern climates

I live in Los Angeles right now but I'll be moving next week to Chicago. Anyone from the snowy northern areas care to chime in on how they keep their Stang looking sweet? Also, is the snow and salt hard on the paint? Thanks!!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Lots and lots of threads on the Stang in the snow.

It's not called a Rustang for nothing. Store it and drive a beater, lest your sweetheart will be sacrificed. No matter how good a driver you are in ice and snow, some ******** will be sure to convince you that you should have had her stored.

BTW, I recently moved from the Chicago area where I was winter storing both Stangs.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:00 PM
AllGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks Nuke. That's what I thought I would have to do. I'll do a better search for "rustang" this time. What if I really felt the need to drive it in the snow would a weekly car wash help? Anyone successful with something like that?
Old 11-15-2010, 04:03 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I drive in town but whenever I have to drive 35+miles to a different campus, I take an AWD vehicle.

The GT is okay for in town driving but no way in hell I'd take it on the highway risking a surprise 20 inch snow storm! rofl

Forget about swerving out of the way or last minute maneuvers in the GT with snow tires, on ice or deep snow, because either way- you're gonna wreck lol

Its best to keep an eye out for idiot drivers, and truly remember you have a mustang in the snow!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

After driving in northern winters for over 30 years, I can honestly say that there's no way, not even with pressure washing, to remove all of the road salt and other chemicals. I had a '78 Camaro that I was told by one mechanic "...has the worst chassis rust for a vehicle under 5 years old that I ever saw...". I even had that think Ziebart rust proofed 1 week off the lot.

If you must, be more concerned with traction. Dedicated snow tires and about 150-200 lbs in the trunk. A mother-in-law works wonders...
Old 11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

What a ****ty time to be moving to Chicago, lol. Get a beater for sure.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:19 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
What a ****ty time to be moving to Chicago, lol. Get a beater for sure.
I wasn't going to mention that. Even with no snow, those mornings when it's -25 deg. F or colder with those 20-30 MPH winds are tough, even WITH heated seats.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Blue GT Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
After driving in northern winters for over 30 years, I can honestly say that there's no way, not even with pressure washing, to remove all of the road salt and other chemicals. I had a '78 Camaro that I was told by one mechanic "...has the worst chassis rust for a vehicle under 5 years old that I ever saw...". I even had that think Ziebart rust proofed 1 week off the lot.

If you must, be more concerned with traction. Dedicated snow tires and about 150-200 lbs in the trunk. A mother-in-law works wonders...
The 150-200 lbs. can be rolled quarters, cause you're gonna need them for the toll roads.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:36 PM
AllGT
1st Gear Member

Yeah.. cant wait! Ya know though I'm getting really sick of this 80F weather in LA in November! I cant wait to move to Chicago at the coldest possible time.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Martynas
1st Gear Member

I am driving Mustang in Eastern Europe. So sometimes it gets down to bloody -30'c. Rear wheel driving cars are an issue here.

Tires: Be sure to invest in set of proper winter tires. Evenmore if you have automatic - tires with spykes. Go maximum narrow tire you can install,this makes traction better and tire pressure toground per square inch increases.

Sand in the Trunk: Also as somebody mentioned - try to put some sacks of sand in the trunk to have bigger pressure for tire to the ground.

Undercarraige treatment with anticorosive: Some people spray undercarriage special anticorosive treatment which lasts for 5 years.

Cooling system: Also make sure to replace cooling water with more concentrated mixture in order not to freeze.

Addtional accessories: I also have put aftermarket seat heating as in was missing from the dealer. Also just recently bought webasto winter heating system. Which turns on on specific set time and preheats vehicle. Very convenient. Somebody in our country also covers front grill so car gets hotter faster. Battery strenght is also always an issue. We have to drive with DRL all the time, and heating and windshield fan on through all winter season. It consumes some power. Be prepared for battery change

Last edited by Martynas; 11-16-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Quick Reply: S197 in nothern climates