Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gears... and one wheeled burn outs

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

how often are you looking to do burnouts?
Old 11-18-2010, 11:29 AM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
how often are you looking to do burnouts?
Given that the pavement is wet 8 months of the year here in the PacNW, at every light and stop sign...

Seriously, there are hills and winter ice and snow, an LSD is a big improvement in safety and mobility.

Which reminds me, does the Ford auto-trans still start in 2nd gear if manually shifted into 2nd?
Old 11-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

having been through the rear rebuild, I can say that the cost of the LS carrier is deceptively small as it does not include any of the supporting items or the labor to do the job. Were it me, I would buy a 8.8 rear already set up the way you want. The whole rear end can be changed by an average shade tree mechanic using normal tools. Its not that the parts in the rear end are so hard to change, its getting the spacing correct which is critical and requires a dial indicator and an inch pound torque wrench. If you get it wrong, you will be hearing gear whine or worse.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:05 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HareBrained
Which reminds me, does the Ford auto-trans still start in 2nd gear if manually shifted into 2nd?
Umm yes? It only drives automatic when in D which is 4th gear but the auto programming will run and choose the gears for you. OD is 5th gear.

If you throw it into 2nd gear, it's not going to shift from 1st to 2nd. It will start in whichever gear you select, except the D which is going back to auto.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

ok so for the LSD and the 4.10's its bout 500 uninstalled into my 7.5

They for under 1000 its the gt locking 8.8 with 4.10's installed

i am going to supercharge my car sometime in the nearish future, so would it be worth it to bump to 8.8? and also how much would it roughly cost to install the gears and LSD into my 7.5? labor costs....
Old 11-18-2010, 07:42 PM
HareBrained
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang

i am going to supercharge my car sometime in the nearish future, so would it be worth it to bump to 8.8? and also how much would it roughly cost to install the gears and LSD into my 7.5? labor costs....
A good shop should be around $350 or less to install. If you're staying under 400hp, the 7.5 should be fine. But, the 8.8 should be much stronger, and worth the extra $$$ for the insurance.

But if you're going to supercharge, are you sure you 4.10s? Most cars with superchargers tend to use lower gears because of the significant increase in power and torque, unless they're using very sticky tires. There is a limit to the traction available with street rubber. You should also take into account the tire height. A Jeep with 44" tires needs a very high ratio axle to spin that much rubber because of the radius to the ground. If you're sticking with stock height or a little lower, you probably don't need 4.10s. As a point of reference, the Shelby Terlingua (supercharged V6) used 3.45:1 gears. Just something to consider.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08blackoutstang

To buy the parts and pay to install them, your going to be very close to the cost to just buy the 8.8, only you wont be as strong. Also, you will have to worry about gear whine and such that you 99% of the time do not see with factory installed gears.

http://www.newtakeoff.com/mustang_88...ustang_v6.aspx
Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, if you're going to supercharger, save the money and do a 8.8 right away. It'll solve your 1-wheel peel, and be strong for your future needs.
I took the upgrade route, putting a t-loc in a 7.5 and gears, and ended up upgrading to a 8.8 eventually.

As far as gear choice, 373's are a good choice with a blower.

One other aspect of the stock 7.5, THEY ARE DANGEROUS AS HELL, imo. Making a slow-speed left-hand turn on slippery surfaces can spin you around and you can lose control. Using a t-loc or 8.8 solves that issue.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:26 AM
08blackoutstang
4th Gear Member

decision made!, haha that was easy, after i get the side skirts on the car i am tackling the rear, going with the 8.8 and 4.10, i have extremely sticky tires on 20's so torque is ok
Old 11-19-2010, 10:45 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

LSDs are overrated.
Ask anyone with a GT and a guardrail storyt to tell....
I have soooo much fun with my open diff its not even funny....

Check out this months HotRod magazine for a great LSD article.

Quick Reply: gears... and one wheeled burn outs