Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I blackout the front?
Yes do it!
79.63%
No...don't.
20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

To blackout or not to blackout?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 10:14 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jessejamesiv
looks good, but make sure that its not illegal in your state at night... In NC you have to remove them at night and that is more hassle than its worth sometimes... I only use mine at car shows...
He's in Dubai. The lucky guy don't have any of those F***ed up laws that our liberal law makers have passed. Cali, unfortunately being inflexible and unreasonable in many of their car laws, being the leader in these useless laws.

Laws against HID should be repealed, and if any law maker in the future dares to enter a bill to ban them again, it should be written in the laws that said lawmaker should be instantly dragged out, tarred and feathered, hung up by his toes, flogged with a rubber hose, and then drawn and quartered by chickens!

Seriously, laws banning HIDs are unreasonable. They can be adjusted so that they do not blind oncoming drivers like these unreasonable lawmakers think they do.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

dont do it
Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

In all honesty, I know it's OT, but I do have to say some HID's are honestly hazardous to drivers. I know they can be made so that they don't mess with other drivers but there should be something in place to enforce that, since a number of times i've had drivers coming at me with what seemed like high beams and when i flashed my lights at them and they flashed back even BRIGHTER, thats a problem that they seem as blinding as highs.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:34 PM
Red Beast
4th Gear Member

do it bro, it needs to be done!
Old 11-21-2010, 11:39 PM
KonaStangPete
2nd Gear Member

definitely do it, looks so much better
Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Seriously, laws banning HIDs are unreasonable. They can be adjusted so that they do not blind oncoming drivers like these unreasonable lawmakers think they do.
That they can be properly adjusted is less of a problem than getting people to actually get them properly adjusted and keep them properly adjusted. For example, I doubt that many people ever bother with re-aiming any headlight just because they're pulling a trailer, carrying an unusually heavy trunk and/or rear seat passenger load, or needing to use the spare tire. Or to use real HID bulbs with the proper low-beam shielding and a reasonable color temperature (~6000°K or less).

I suspect that the lawmakers have not been able to come to any consensus on where to draw the line. Attempting to legislate things like "consideration for others" and "common sense" are exercises in futility, so I'm not too surprised that they dropped back to an easily definable "either-or" point on the cautious side.

I know the appearance-is-king/my-car-has-to-have-a-certain-look folks are not going to want to hear this, but the higher the color temperature and the "blue-er" they look, the more the light gets scattered (meaning that more glare is produced for a given lamp output). Think about it - a glare-blinded driver is not really what you want to have aiming his car at you (eyes tend to follow unusual light, hands follow eyes, car follows hands . . .). And as more of the light gets scattered, less of it reflects back toward the driver of the car with those bulbs and is actually useful to him.

I had my car built with the OE HIDs, and they've always had a dark patch, maybe 75 - 100 feet out on the driver side that I'd always found annoying. I finally got around to cranking on the headlight aims a little (less than one full turn each) this past weekend. Moved the dark patch out and probably up a little (though pretty much by definition, a dark patch shouldn't be "glare-y"). Time will tell if it's too much for oncoming traffic, but having only been "flashed" once in over two years for running the low HIDs plus the fogs (to fill in that dark patch) I'm not expecting trouble. But I will post back if I do get some early "negative feedback".

Jim - it probably would have been more productive if the powers that be in CA or out your way had put more time into this issue and less into, say, the CA requirement for service facilities to check your tire pressures and adjust them if they're more than 1 psi low (that one went into effect this past September).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-22-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:22 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Damn, I voted NO. But I should voted YES. I didn't notice that you're in Dubai where they probably won't give you a ticket.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 11-22-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM
tigercrazy718
4th Gear Member

not in dubai he wont
especially if hes local lol
Old 11-22-2010, 01:14 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

HELLS YEAH!!! I think the photo you have with the blackout looks primo for your color scheme... Wouldn't look good on mine, but yours, yes.

Don
Old 11-22-2010, 03:14 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Totally do it! Have you seen my car? I've blacked out all my lights and I have no issues what so ever with visablity. I also have HID headlights. If you want a suggestion I would check out "Xpel" its the kit I used for my headlights, fogs, and front turn sig's. The kid is outstanding and will protect your headlights from a rock hitting them a 100mph. The kit is call a "headlight protection cover". It goes on like tint film but is 40mil thick hard plastic the you can heat up to mold to your fogs and turn sig's.

Quick Reply: To blackout or not to blackout?