Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well f**k. (Shifter Issue)

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:58 AM
UpTo11
3rd Gear Member

Default Well f**k. (Shifter Issue)

Hey, guys. Been a while, I know. Haven't been on these boards much, been going to school full time and working 40+ hours a week...whatever.

Also no one talks about anything but the 5.0 now.

Had an issue with the shifter slide plate. MAJOR issue. When I attempted to slide it in park after driving for a little bit, the piece-of-sh*t plastic slide plate on the Automatic shifter, I guess, lost its track and bunched up in the front. With it bunched up, I was unable to put the car in park all the way. I did try leveling it out and pressing it back in to no avail. Anyway, I ended up having to rip out the entire front part of the slide plate so I could put the car in park. The red indicator is stuck all the way back in 2nd, but as of now the shifting works fine. If it is just a shifter issue, would replacing the OEM with a TCI Ratchet effectively solve this problem? Or do you think I might have a deeper transmission problem due to the slide plate losing track? I would post pictures, but, it's late, and I don't think you guys really need to see a picture of a f**ked up slide plate to appropriately diagnose this issue.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

I certainly don't think you have a transmission problem because the plastic bunched up. You're not the first to have that track get F**'d up. That really sucks man. Sorry to hear it, but I think your transmission is fine.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I'm sure your trans. is fine. Just get a new shifter. Some really nice aftermarket ones available.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by UpTo11
The red indicator is stuck all the way back in 2nd, but as of now the shifting works fine.
If your shifting into, out of, and between the various ranges is fine, your tranny is fine.

The indicator does not control the transmission; it only reports back to you what it thinks the tranny is doing. In your case, it's being lied to and is simply passing the lies on to you.

It's not like an indicator is even necessary from a mechanical operation standpoint. You have one because the NHTSA thinks it's necessary so that the less skilled drivers out there can figure out things like how to make their cars move in the intended direction and stay put when parked.

Norm
Old 11-22-2010, 01:05 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

As others have stated, sounds like your tranny is fine. The TCI shifter is a direct replacement with the stocker, so you can go that route if you choose. Installed mine about a week ago and love it! And after taking a look at the stocker, I could see how problems could arise...it is a plastic pos!
Good luck with her