Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed my Brenspeed tune and HOLY #$%^!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I felt the same way about about three years ago when i got my first combo. Wow did it wake the car up. Now iim around 15k down the road including a saleen install coming wednesday. On yea. I'll get to say holly cow again
Old 11-29-2010, 01:43 PM
BlueBellThunder
2nd Gear Member

I was just wondering, would a 87 octane tune be best for a dd. Just want a little extra kick.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:23 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
I was just wondering, would a 87 octane tune be best for a dd. Just want a little extra kick.
This one is going to get you quite the variety of responses lol.

Personally I'd say yeah, an 87 tune would be best for daily driving, since as the tunes get more aggressive it becomes easier to spin your tires accidentally and I'm assuming that's something you wouldn't want. I'm running an 87 for my daily drive
Old 11-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder
Yes. There's actually a bigger "kick" going from the stock 87 tune to a custom 87 tune then the amount of "kick" going from a custom 87 tune to a custom 93 tune. But I'd recommend loading your lowest octane tune (you typically get 3 tunes) first and drive it like you stole it, then repeat that drive with the next higher octane tune and so forth. You'll be surprised how each tune has different characteristics at different RPM's. You may decide on the 89 like I did for 99% of your driving.

Last edited by Nuke; 11-29-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:34 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Yes. There's actually a bigger "kick" going from the stock 87 tune to a custom 87 tune then the amount of "kick" going from a custom 87 tune to a custom 93 tune. But I'd recommend loading your lowest octane tune (you typically get 3 tunes) first and drive it like you stole it, then repeat that drive with the next higher octane tune and so forth. You'll be surprised how each tune has different characteristics at different RPM's. You may decide on the 89 like I did for 99% of your driving.
interesting.. I am running a 90 octane bama tune right now. I never thought of trying out the 87 custom tune. I bet it'll save me a ton of money, while giving me some great off the line performance
Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

You just started down the slippery slope of the money pit haha
Old 11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
onegoal
Banned

So lets say I use an 87 tune. If I switch it to a 93 and accidently fill up with regular unleaded would it screw the car up?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:39 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
So lets say I use an 87 tune. If I switch it to a 93 and accidently fill up with regular unleaded would it screw the car up?
Yes it can. You need to remember what tune is on the car or if anyone else fills up gas for you, they need to know which octane to use.

Now if you have a lower octane tune, you can use higher octane gas but is virtually a waste of money.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:12 PM
onegoal
Banned

Originally Posted by alkemist
Yes it can. You need to remember what tune is on the car or if anyone else fills up gas for you, they need to know which octane to use.

Now if you have a lower octane tune, you can use higher octane gas but is virtually a waste of money.
What kind of repairs would be needed if that were to happen? Would it be big $?
Old 11-29-2010, 11:54 PM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onegoal
What kind of repairs would be needed if that were to happen? Would it be big $?
Potentially... Essentially what happens is the higher octane tunes gets the spark slightly earlier because it takes a little bit longer for the flame to propagate and really build up pressure the cylinder. So if you use a lower octane fuel which burns faster you'll have pressure build up before the piston is at the top of the stroke which puts ridiculous amounts of stress on the lower end. Depending on how severe it is, it can be rather inconsequential or it may result in catastrophic failure. Not something you'd want to play around with for sure.

Quick Reply: Just installed my Brenspeed tune and HOLY #$%^!!!