Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microsoft Sync (with the Navi screen)-Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:40 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Default Microsoft Sync (with the Navi screen)-Worth it?

I'm in the market of buying a 2011 GT next year. ( I turn 25 so cheaper insurance for me, finally, yay!) So, I've been searching about Ford Sync and I see about the basic sync, but what about the SYNC with the touchscreen on it? (I'm a techie lol). Is it a good system to have and is it useful, or is the SYNC without the touchscreen just as good as that? What are the differences with the SYNC w/ Navi Screen vs SYNC w/o the Navi Screen?

Also, how clear is the voice recognition? Right now, I have a Pioneer avic u310bt. I also have an iPhone 4. So using the Bluetooth, mixed in with the iPhone's Voice Command feature, I can just press and hold the home button on my iPhone and I'm able to access my contacts and music by voice in my 03 GT, similar to the SYNC system demos I've seen. Is the voice recognition really that good?

Also, is the glass roof cool? I actually kinda want that too, lol. Hey, might as well go all out, I don't plan on buying another new car in about 5-10 years

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:47 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I'm gonna throw in that you should use the search function on this one probably, there was a biggggggg thread about this topic a little while ago and it became a pretty debated topic. What generally came out was that it's a very mixed option, a lot of people see it as prohibitively expensive, while those that chose to buy it really do love it. I would assume if you like tech toys you'd like the unit, but anyway, look for that long thread on the topic to save some time.

As for SYNC's voice recognition, I wouldn't say that it's anything all that special honestly. It works better than most voice recognition I've used in the past, but at the same time particularly with my music artists it has a bunch of holes in it.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:23 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Sync is the same with or without the electronics package.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Kitzy
1st Gear Member

The voice recognition is hit and miss. I told it to call Dave and it called Cooper. That's not even close. Other times, with slightly tougher words I didn't expect it to understand, it got no problem.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:04 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
I'm gonna throw in that you should use the search function on this one probably, there was a biggggggg thread about this topic a little while ago and it became a pretty debated topic. What generally came out was that it's a very mixed option, a lot of people see it as prohibitively expensive, while those that chose to buy it really do love it. I would assume if you like tech toys you'd like the unit, but anyway, look for that long thread on the topic to save some time.

As for SYNC's voice recognition, I wouldn't say that it's anything all that special honestly. It works better than most voice recognition I've used in the past, but at the same time particularly with my music artists it has a bunch of holes in it.
Yeah I think I saw that thread, but I didn't really see anything about the electronics package. (Unless I must've just been drunk when I read it and forgot). I def want Sync, I think it's extremely useful. Esp in the Northern VA area, but I like the little screen thingy.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

My previous 09 ford fusion had a basic sync package with steering wheel controls and I loved it! Worked very well and I do miss it. Phone sound quality was good in the fusion, it was quiet with a 4cyl. If you plan to build up your stang for sound, it might not work as well with the exhaust note louder...and yep, the one thing I always regreted was not getting the super nav'er.
I say go for it, Tom agree's...good luck with the build.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i37uttMA6Mc

Old 11-30-2010, 06:07 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Another thing I want to add about sync is that if you do want to use it for navigation in semi congested areas, either buy a separate dedicated GPS unit (like I did) or get the electronics package for the upgraded nav system. The way sync has to call in for directions makes on the fly adjustments to your route go terribly wrong. I ended up in pretty bad areas of Indianapolis and Chicago because of sync taking forever to pull together new GPS information.

As for the other electronic package items I think it somewhat comes down to prefs. I personally don't really need the automatic temp control, heated seats, etc. I'd rather just play with the dials and save a couple thousand dollars personally. I'd suggest taking a ride in a 5.0 with and without the electronic package and just see if you feel like it's worth the price hike.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:43 PM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

My '11 has the Electronics Package. I like the Navigation, very simple to use, and the ability to speak your destination is kinda trick, particularly if you're on the move. The sync is cool, although its not perfect. AND REMEMBER THIS. If you plan on adding an aftermarket it exhaust, when you use the voice controls, you have to TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE GAS, or the car won't understand you. I'm happy with my choice. Having your phone's contacts on the screen is also a big help. You'll also have the Sirius travel link with weather on the screen, the beauty is in the details. I definitely would skip the glass roof and spend the money on mods.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

I'm an engineer, and I love the electronic package in my Mustang.
Just be warned though, something as cool as this that tries to do everything with all the gadgets out there, sometimes can be aggrevating. If you like tech, and have a little patience, you'll love it.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:59 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Another thing I want to add about sync is that if you do want to use it for navigation in semi congested areas, either buy a separate dedicated GPS unit (like I did) or get the electronics package for the upgraded nav system. The way sync has to call in for directions makes on the fly adjustments to your route go terribly wrong. I ended up in pretty bad areas of Indianapolis and Chicago because of sync taking forever to pull together new GPS information.

As for the other electronic package items I think it somewhat comes down to prefs. I personally don't really need the automatic temp control, heated seats, etc. I'd rather just play with the dials and save a couple thousand dollars personally. I'd suggest taking a ride in a 5.0 with and without the electronic package and just see if you feel like it's worth the price hike.
Agree ... Sync Nav is OK for occasional or emergency use but would really suck if it was your only Nav system.