Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 mustang GT AT or Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Because you're living in queens I don't think I'd be able to recommend a manual at all. And that's not just because I have an auto. The amount of traffic around there would likely make driving a manual seem much less pleasant than it should be. If it's just for weekend driving then manual, if for DD then I'd think about an auto really seriously
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

Traffic stinks in a manual ( sitting still, stop and go) With that being said. I have owned 6 mustangs, 2 were automatics. They are better to drive in heavy traffic. I just found the manuals to be more fun to drive for the "play factor. Spinning through first, snagging second. I was truly excited when I found out Ford finally offered a 6-speed in a non SVT vehicle. Alot of people don't like the new tranny, I myself haven't had any real issues with it. I think one guy said it best- "Go drive both, then make your decision based on that. Heck we are all different. Either way it will be a good experience- it's a mustang. Best wishes and good luck with the decision.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 AM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

a manual is definitely more work in traffic, but it is by no means hard. The first week or so your leg might be a little sore, but you get used to it. I would gladly suffer all week with a manual to enjoy it on the weekend.

Before I moved I had a 40minute one way drive to work with stop and go traffic, it really wasn't that bad even with the manual
Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
The automatics have advanced ten fold compared to the manual. If you plan on drag racing, the automatic is the best way to go. You won't come close in consistency with a manual.

As Jim said, if it's just a boulevard cruiser, or occasionally, a boulevard bruiser... get that manual.
This is a very good point. It is interesting, actually, stunning, how refined auto trannies have become. In a drag race, they can be every bit as good, if not better, than a manual. Sure, you know exactly where you shift with an MT, but if you slip up, you grind, or at the least, get locked out of the gear and you lose time.

These guys took an auto, and with some bolt-on mods and a tune to correct the shift points for drag racing, they were able to consistently get 11's
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...3-125-mph.html
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Cal26Stang
5th Gear Member

I don't know how to drive an automatic, that's why I got a manual....lol
Old 12-06-2010, 09:47 AM
floridafordguy
2nd Gear Member

The key with the auto, IMO, is to get a tune. The car feels pretty dead without it, but tuned it's very responsive, the tranny up and downshifts pretty much where you would with the MT, and it's much easier to live with day-to-day.

Try to drive a tuned AT before you decide; don't go by a test drive of a stock AT. If you contact AM Chris Rose he'll give you the straight-up 411 on the AT. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:56 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

You being from FL are a damn lucky guy! FL is the mecca of Mustang Mods, I swear all the best damn tuners, modders, mod shops, etc are mostly, if not all, out of FL!

Oh yeah, that link of those mods that auto 'Stang I posted was done by AM! I was astonished at what they were able to pull out of that car
Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I'd never buy an automatic sports car again....

And traffic around here is terrible
Old 12-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Don't let not being able to currently drive a manual persuade you. HOWEVER, if you're in NYC, being in THAT kind of traffic will make about 90% of the manual owners wish they had an automatic. If I still lived in Philly, I may have passed up buying a Stang rather than buy an auto, but that's just me.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LostBoyz
a manual is definitely more work in traffic, but it is by no means hard. The first week or so your leg might be a little sore, but you get used to it. I would gladly suffer all week with a manual to enjoy it on the weekend.
I too bought a manual, I bought it originally to be an occasional driver, not my DD. But I love driving it so much, it by default has become my DD, even in bad traffic and all.

As for the sore legs, hitting the gym and doing some squats will prevent your clutch leg from ever getting sore!

Quick Reply: 2011 mustang GT AT or Stick?