Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 mustang GT AT or Stick?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I love my auto but then again, I ofen find myself holding the gears like a manual.

For a 5.0, I'd have to get a manual
Old 12-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Uphouse
1st Gear Member

It all comes down to preference. My GT is my first manual car and I was a little worried about driving it in traffic at first. Though, after using it in Atlanta rush hour traffic, I can say that it doesn't bother me at all.
I do have random days where I wished I was driving some sort of automatic car. Thing is I don't think I'd ever feel right driving an auto stang. If I ever have a hankering to be a lazy driver, I just drive my mom's prius haha.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:39 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Like others have said, it depends on traffic. My car is my first manual, but I live in the DC area. When I'm home in the suburbs, I love shifting through gears or just going for a random weekend cruise around town. But, when it comes down to driving everyday in heavy traffic, it sucks.

As much as I love manually shifting, if i get a 5.0, I'm def going with an automatic. The fact that the automatic's in the new Mustang can dip into the 11's with a few simple mods, I'm sold on it.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coyote 5.0
If you enjoy driving, get a manual.

I had a auto loaner from my dealer for a week and the auto is really smooth and has advanced alot BUT I could have fell asleep driving!! LOL

I had an 09 vette with auto and paddle shift and it still wasn't as much fun as a manual. JUST MY OPINION
yeah the only problem with the 2011 mustang gt AT is it doesn't have paddle shifters it doesn't even have the steptronic.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 PM
Will3212
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Like others have said, it depends on traffic. My car is my first manual, but I live in the DC area. When I'm home in the suburbs, I love shifting through gears or just going for a random weekend cruise around town. But, when it comes down to driving everyday in heavy traffic, it sucks.

As much as I love manually shifting, if i get a 5.0, I'm def going with an automatic. The fact that the automatic's in the new Mustang can dip into the 11's with a few simple mods, I'm sold on it.
so the 2011 mustang gt gets from 0-60 faster with the automatic? like maybe 4.3 seconds with the AT and 4.5 with manual?
Old 12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Oh, no, I didn't say that.

I just meant that the new autos are better than the automatics from my generation.

I think the manuals still have the edge, stock. But I know that you can still build up a quick 5.0 automatic.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:06 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
Oh, no, I didn't say that.

I just meant that the new autos are better than the automatics from my generation.

I think the manuals still have the edge, stock. But I know that you can still build up a quick 5.0 automatic.
Main thing is that a manual is quicker if you shift quite well, it'll still out do an auto, however when you're driving manual your shifting skills are completely up to you, on an auto they'll hold a consistent pattern that may be better or worse than your shifting skills would've been.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:24 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
Main thing is that a manual is quicker if you shift quite well, it'll still out do an auto, however when you're driving manual your shifting skills are completely up to you, on an auto they'll hold a consistent pattern that may be better or worse than your shifting skills would've been.
Yeah...that lol.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket

Exactly. I much prefer the manual, however, I know for a fact I'm not a good enough driver to out drive an auto for the first 2 gears. I can admit it haha, hopefully in time I'll be better.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Mr.Bape
4th Gear Member

Hey Will, welcome to the forums!! Where in Queens you at? I'm in Howard Beach by the JFK airport. I ordered my 5.0 manual for the fun of it. It is my first manual after years of driving automatic cars, I just wanted a change of pace. I have been learning on my brothers' 335i and it has been an experience to say the least lol. Traffic isn't all that bad once you get the hang of it.

Quick Reply: 2011 mustang GT AT or Stick?