Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's cheaper, ordering from Ford or the Dealership?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:06 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Default What's cheaper, ordering from Ford or the Dealership?

If people have followed me by now (psshh yeah right, LOL). I'm interested in a 2011 5.0. I notice that dealerships are shady, but I've just had it in my head that it's a bit cheaper than ordering a Mustang exactly how I want it online. Is it usually cheaper to order online vs. buying a car on the lot from the dealership? I'm looking to spend no more than 33K for a new Mustang. (Yes, this will be the first new car I'm buying. so I'm like a 16 yr old newb when it comes to this)

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

never heard of someone ordering a car online directly from the manufacturer??? don't think you can do it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

It would probably be cheaper through a dealership. Online you're going to pay MSRP with no ability to negotiate.

I think dealers would throw an absolute fit if people could order their cars directly for cheaper. There has to be SOME incentive for putting up with the shady dealerships.

Their motto can be "We suck, but we're still cheaper!"
Old 12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
JimmyM
3rd Gear Member

You can't order directly from Ford..

You place an order with a dealership. In the end, whether you order or purchase one that is on the lot, you still have to deal with the dealerships.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

you have two choices: buy a car off the lot, order it exactly how you want it from a dealer and wait 6-8 weeks. You have a lot more negotiation potential if its a car on the lot, not to say you can't negotiate an order. If you don't like negotiating or markup in your area is high, join MCA (Mustang Collectors of America) and get an X-plan code from them. This eliminates all negotiating, the dealer will print out an 'invoice' for a car that has the xplan price listed, thats what you pay. You can still qualify for rebates and financing even if you pick that. Sometimes its better to negotiate, especially if you have a trade in.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

Oh. Says how much I know about new car buying. I thought you could custom order a car online thru ford.com
Old 12-06-2010, 05:59 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Yeah you do have to order through a dealer regardless. But don't fear, just always keep in mind that all dealers aren't totally evil, and you have your pick of the lot. It's important to shop around for dealers IMO before you even get too into talking about the car. Find someone that you can feel comfortable with from the start because if you start off with someone you don't like things are going to continue to be unpleasant for you.

I would also say a 33K limit should be completely fine. I managed to get my 5.0 for 33K even + TTL and that includes an auto tranny, over the top stripe package, and GT accessory pack 4. Also this is the premium model. What kind of setup are you looking for?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:07 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Cheaper may also relate to poor service. Before you decide on one dealer, check out their service also. Most dealers want to service the cars they sell, not one from across town or even the next town over.

Also, I shop the dealers on line to see what they have. Then go looking when they are closed to get an idea of the car. Once I decide on a dealer, I will tell them where the car is I want. You might be surprised how far away some dealers can pull cars from.

Then hold out for the deal you want. When I bought the '11 GT/CS last week, they wanted me to deal that night which I very seldom do. I told them to give me another $2000.00 off the total deal and I would sign, not thinking they would. Well, we bought the car that night.......so be ready for whatever might come up.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:47 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Cheaper may also relate to poor service. Before you decide on one dealer, check out their service also. Most dealers want to service the cars they sell, not one from across town or even the next town over.
nope. There is no dealership that would ever turn down maintenance on a ford car. You can buy a car half across the country if you wanted to, buying a car has nothing to do with the dealerships service department.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

That is correct. You buy a car in Cali, and you can get it serviced in Philly with the same Ford standard of service. Otherwise, they risk you filing a complaint with Ford Customer Relations and I believe Ford could place some sanctions on that dealer, such as they could lose their lottery for exclusive limited production cars (for example, if they are authorized to sell Shelby GT500, their allotment could be dropped or eliminated if too many complaints are filed).

Don't quote me on this, this is just an example that I inferred (an inference being a more glorified "assumption") from what some Ford guys told me. They did not tell me this exact thing. But they gave me the impression that FoMoCo could one way or another punish the dealership.

Quick Reply: What's cheaper, ordering from Ford or the Dealership?