Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Twin Screw or Roots
Twin Screw
84.75%
Roots
15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Twin Screw vs. Roots

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Default Twin Screw vs. Roots

I know I'm opening up a can with this one. I know the basic difference between the two:

Roots compresses the air in the intake manifold (Eaton)

Twin Screw compresses it in the supercharger (Whipple, KB, Saleen)

It's an opinionated argument, just looking to hear your oppinions..

Last edited by 302_GT; 12-10-2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Twin screw is the only way. Lower boost temps compared to a roots. and more efficiant.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:08 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Na, Centri FTW!
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

The new 4 lobe rotors are the shizzy (Roots)

I like those. 3 lobe ain't bad.. plenty of older Cobras running in the 11s with them.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burns331
Twin screw is the only way. Lower boost temps compared to a roots. and more efficiant.
LOL, I see the votes are pretty well speaking for themselves, and this was the answer I was expecting. But I was hoping for some more reasoning to back it up.

I'm curious to see how many people are familiar with eaton's Gen 6 TVS technology. The previous generation Roots SC's had obvious heat soak issues, but eaton seems to have made some major headway with the Gen 6.

My biggest argument with the twin screw is it's constantly creating boost. Even though it has a bypass so the boost doesn't make it to the engine, the SC still has the added stress of consistantly making boost.

Where the roots has the bypass before the internals, so the SC isn't under anywhere near the same load as a twin screw during cruising speeds. But you still get immediate boost at WOT.

Last edited by 302_GT; 12-09-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM
rshamekh
4th Gear Member

Generally, the TS has greater potential on the long run.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:49 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302_GT
LOL, I see the votes are pretty well speaking for themselves, and this was the answer I was expecting. But I was hoping for some more reasoning to back it up.

I'm curious to see how many people are familiar with eaton's Gen 6 TVS technology. The previous generation Roots SC's had obvious heat soak issues, but eaton seems to have made some major headway with the Gen 6.

My biggest argument with the twin screw is it's constantly creating boost. Even though it has a bypass so the boost doesn't make it to the engine, the SC still has the added stress of consistantly making boost.

Where the roots has the bypass before the internals, so the SC isn't under anywhere near the same load as a twin screw during cruising speeds. But you still get immediate boost at WOT.
I went with saleen b/c i wanted power other than just wot. So u have to ask urself is that when u want to feel ur power. ONly in wot or at say half throttle. Its really up to u
Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I went with saleen b/c i wanted power other than just wot. So u have to ask urself is that when u want to feel ur power. ONly in wot or at say half throttle. Its really up to u
I may have mis-spoken on that last quote because I believe the bypass valve's work the same for both Twin Screw and Roots.

So in theory you should feel the same boost at 1/2 throttle for either kit.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Wally39
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 302_GT

No it doesn't. I had a twin screw Saleen blower and the ONLY time it produced boost was if I accelerated faster than normal or WOT. Normal driving it's like any other car.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
302_GT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wally39
No it doesn't. I had a twin screw Saleen blower and the ONLY time it produced boost was if I accelerated faster than normal or WOT. Normal driving it's like any other car.
Isn't the bypass located after the internals on a Twin Screw though? Which would mean that the air is still being compressed by the rotors, then released by the bypass before going into the intake?

So your boost gauge wouldn't read anything (since most gauges measure the boost as it passes through the intake). But your SC is still going through the work of compressing the air.?

Again, this thread was just for arguments sake. I'm curious what the benefits of each are.

Quick Reply: Twin Screw vs. Roots