Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 PM
ZoomyX
1st Gear Member

Default What is wrong with my car?

So im driving home today in my 2007 GT Mustang and the stereo cuts out. After that about 1 min later my abs turns off and my airbag. Another minute after that and im driving black, my instrament panel and everything goes out. Made it home just fine as thing kept trying to turn back on only to cut off after a few seconds.

I get home, park the car, look under the hood and i dont see anything blowing up or burning, looks normal, everything feels the right temp. I go to start the car back up and just starter click, as if the battery is dead.

I'm guessing either bad battery or alternator. What do you guys think and what should I check out first and how should I test? (I like fix things myself whenever possible)
Old 12-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

If you were losing your electrical components as you were driving, it's a dead alternator. Depending on how far down, and how old your battery is, you might have killed it too. Get the alternator, get a jump, and see if you battery will hold a charge.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Pretty certain to be the alternator. Try replacing the alternator and then see how things go. I think that'll fix your problem and hopefully the battery is still A-OK
Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

Sound like the alternator! If it stops charging it will run all the electrical from the battery till its dead! your lucky you made it home!
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Just throwing this out there, but make sure to familiarize yourself with the water leak TSB. It tends to cause long term damage to the SJB and create electrical problems.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:53 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Just throwing this out there, but make sure to familiarize yourself with the water leak TSB. It tends to cause long term damage to the SJB and create electrical problems.
I was going to mention this.

But it sounds like the alternator.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Unless you have a deep cycle battery, the battery is probably toast. Today's batteries don't take too well to being deeply discharged, even one time. A professional shop might be able revive it so that it will have a decent remaining life. If the battery is three or more years old, though, I wouldn't bother--get a new one.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:05 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Thumbs down

I hate how batts are like that now: one deep discharge and you HAVE to throw it away.

I tried reviving many a deep discharged batt, they only puff up as gases are released in the cells.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:25 AM
kevinmalec
5th Gear Member

Take your battery to autozone or advanced auto and have it tested. It may need to be replaced out too.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:50 AM
FastTraveler

Default Flat Area on left tail pipe.

I have been trying to get answers from my dealer and I have also posted the question on the forum but have not received a reply. Being new to this forum I am not sure I am actually posting to the right area.

The tail pipe on the drivers side, between the muffler and Cad is a flat area about 2 ft long 3/8 inch deep on the bottom of the pipe. It looks as if it is a machined pressed flat area. It has nothing to do with passing thru anything and the other tail pipe for the other side is normal. It is on my new just purchased 2011 V6 (factory duel pipes all the way). I did not hit anything and does not look like an accidental flattened area. Is this a normal flattened area from the factory? Does any other 2011 V6's have the same thing?

Quick Reply: What is wrong with my car?