Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to buy new 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

Wow - thanks for all the responses so fast!

You are all awesome! Again - glad to know there are not many major issues identified so far.

btw - My only personal issue with the 2006 was the hood "corrosion"... Ford "fixed it" - twice. Overall no big deal.

Last edited by rogan01; 12-10-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

No issues so far. I currently own 2 mustangs. Over the years owned several. I think this is one of the best ones yet. I love the power and the six speed. Only time will tell as far as major problems go. I am about ready for the first oil change. Had the car for about 3-4 months. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 PM
onegoal
Banned

Or wait until later next year and buy a slightly used 2011. Will save more $$ and still have a good chunk of warranty left incase it has issues.

Thats what I did around labor day 2008. Got a great deal on a used 2006 GT premium that had only 8100 miles on it.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 PM
Imastang

Hello I am new to the mustang world - on Nov 27 bought my first mustang 2011 5.0 - On Nov 29 it went into the shop had to have a new transmission - took two weeks to complete - picked it up Dec 9th and on Dec 10 had to go back into the shop for another new transmission and this time a new clutch - Symptoms are - hard to get into reversre, high pitch wine at higher speeds, Slower speeds hard to shift between gears, 4th and third would make a scratching noise. My dealer is giving me 5 free oil changes and making my first car payment as compensation. I talked with the technician - he told me that this is a new transmission for the 2011 - made in China - Ford is just replacing the whole thing without much information about why they are failing.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 PM
onegoal
Banned

Originally Posted by Imastang
Hello I am new to the mustang world - on Nov 27 bought my first mustang 2011 5.0 - On Nov 29 it went into the shop had to have a new transmission - took two weeks to complete - picked it up Dec 9th and on Dec 10 had to go back into the shop for another new transmission and this time a new clutch - Symptoms are - hard to get into reversre, high pitch wine at higher speeds, Slower speeds hard to shift between gears, 4th and third would make a scratching noise. My dealer is giving me 5 free oil changes and making my first car payment as compensation. I talked with the technician - he told me that this is a new transmission for the 2011 - made in China - Ford is just replacing the whole thing without much information about why they are failing.
That sucks. Not shocking though. Trying to go on the cheap getting them made in China. The dealer sounds cool about it though making your first payment for you! Make sure you get that in writing though incase the loan company says you missed a payment.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:27 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Wow, yet another experience with a bum MT82 tranny.

That is what I hate about Ford firing Tremec and taking the cheaper chinese Getrag MT82.
With anything chinese, it is hit or miss. You can get a great product with no problems, ever, or you could get one that is utter trash. Made in China = inconsistent quality.
I am one of the lucky ones...so far. My MT82 has not F***ed up catastrophically yet, an I so far have 5K on the Odo. I notice a resistance to shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, and those are not under SkipShift conditions. But fortunately, nothing like what happened to yours so far.

I hate to say it, but considering the hit-or-miss nature of chinese, the most you can do is make Ford keep on replacing that damn chinese thing until you get one that is no longer a miss.

I hope Ford is getting onto Getrag about the inconsistent quality standard. Getrag needs to have people directly supervising those chinese factories making sure that they are not becoming lazy, complacent, or even trying to cheat by trying to slip in sub-standard materials or pieces that do not fall within specs. And Getrag should be made to randomly sample each batch of MT82 trannies to make sure that all the proper materials, all the proper tolerances, all the proper manufacturing procedures are being used and no steps are being skipped.

Chinese factories have in the past cheated and cut paint with lead so toys are coated with that poison. They have also cut toothpaste with car ANTIFREEZE, and slipped poisons into baby food just to make each bottle look like there is more food, etc. All they care about is making money so their greed by cutting corners like this is one of the major reasons why made in China is hit or miss. Once you stop watching them like a hawk, they get too tempted to cheat. And I would not put it past them to do the same thing with Getrag, who in turn sells Ford bad trannies.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Imastang

Thought I would give you an update on the transmission saga after I picked the car up they had to replace the transmission again and this time the clutch turns out that ford has identified that there are 6 Bolts on the pressure plate that need to be replaced the original ones are not tempered right and are stretching under the pressure when I get the car and if the weather permits I will let you know if all this works this time.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:55 PM
1200bruce
1st Gear Member

I have a whole 140 miles on my with no problems, 5.0 and 6 speed!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 AM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Back to the OP's question, NOW would be a good time. I picked up mine Tuesday. Sticker was $35,800, I paid $31,200. 2011 5.0, 6m, Brembo, 3.73, Tint & security. Very pleased so far, although the cheap gas they filled it with for my "free" tank has it down on power. Can't wait to run some decent fuel to get my 10 HP back.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:02 AM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Not to hijack, but any reports of production variations in power from the Coyote? I drove two before buying this one. The first was identical to the one I have, the second was MUCH stronger. It was out of gas, and I put two gallons of 93 in it for my day-long "unsupervised" test drive. I know Ford claims a 10 HP loss and 13 lb ft loss with reg vs premium; since I am still on my first tank, is the concensus that is the difference?

Quick Reply: When to buy new 5.0?