Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tranny needs rebuilt... for the 5th time

Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Better do it now. One of the horrible habits and tactics dealerships use today is to F*** around and feed you BS such that when they finally acknowledge the problem and admit it, they only do so after the warranties have expired.

If you are close to that warranty as far as mileage on your car, park it now and drive another vehicle because the dealer is counting on you to break that mileage!
Old 12-11-2010, 01:50 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I had the 3rd gear grind, so I know the issue with that, the second time I took it in they replaced the transmission, but I took it to the same dealer every time. Playing musical chairs with the dealers is likely hurting you more than helping you, become a pain to a single place/tech then they will just replace it to make sure you don't come back with the same problem.
On the lemon laws in your state, you might check to see if the mileage limit is the cars current mileage, or the mileage the first time the part was serviced.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:33 AM
carfixer100

Unfortunately, dealers don't have the ability to replace a unit unless the cost of repair is more than 80% of a replacement. Ford is really strict on this. I'm sure after 2 times the tech would have loved to replace the trans but Ford more than likey said no and to fix it. Now that it's been fixed a few times, Ford's gonna tell the dealer its on their dime. This sucks, wish they'd just bite the bullet and fix your car once and for all!
Old 12-12-2010, 01:13 AM
RyanV

D and D sells the TR6060 kit for 3500, it was 4100 when I got, this will fix the problems you are having with the TR 3650, which in my opinion is a poo-box.

The six speed is just smooth and consistent. Not that Ford shouldnt fix your transmission on warranty out of principle, but I just got fed up and swapping in the TR 6060 solved my problems, and put a smile back on my face when I drove the car.......which was well worth the 4500 I paid for the kit.

R
Old 12-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Your best solution is to make a sign and put it on stick like someone who is going to picket (spelling). Go into the dealership and talk with the person in charge of making the decision about whether or not your tranny will be replaced. See if he can be convinced.

If not, tell you are going to picket his store on monday or whatever day a few days from then would be. Watch his reaction, it will be telling. If you think he doesn't believe you, go out to your car get he sign and show him. Tell him he has until monday (or whatever is reasonable, maybe a week or a weekend) and you will be out there holding a sign telling everyone how the dealership does not stand behind their product and that they do not have the ability to properly service cars blah blah blah. ASk us, we will give some advice.

Your tranny will be replaced.

One customer turning away from buying a new $50,000 truck there will be enough for him to change his mind.

Friend of mine did this with Honda about 6 months ago. The guy didn't even finish a cup of coffee and they were already making an appointment for him to come in and get his car fixed.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

I feel your pain OP, my trans is in the shop being rebuilt as we speak. Very annoying
Old 12-12-2010, 11:02 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyanV
D and D sells the TR6060 kit for 3500, it was 4100 when I got, this will fix the problems you are having with the TR 3650, which in my opinion is a poo-box.

The six speed is just smooth and consistent. Not that Ford shouldnt fix your transmission on warranty out of principle, but I just got fed up and swapping in the TR 6060 solved my problems, and put a smile back on my face when I drove the car.......which was well worth the 4500 I paid for the kit.

R
As much as I'd love a 6 speed, I can't imagine shelling out 4k for a new transmission - especially since this thing has another 25,000 left in warranty.

To the other poster above, I changed dealers three times because I moved once, and the other tried to charge me the $100 Premiumcare deductible even though my powertrain warranty was still in effect. This last one has a somewhat reputable history in the area so we'll see if the second time in 2,000 miles is the charm. If not, Simon, I like your idea. Perhaps a "Honk if Ford gives crappy service" sign while holding another "Ask me about this dealership's service" sign.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:05 AM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Ford just replaced my tranny.....12,000 miles! Bad synchros in 2nd and 3rd. They tell me they replaced it with a new one, not a rebuild. I'm not sure if I believe them. I called Tremec and they said to check the tag on the tranny and write down the info and call them back. The shifter on the replacement unit feels real cluncky (like there's gravel in the linkage)) and i'm concerned about that for sure. Also, doesn't like to go into reverse when cold. I understand that the remote linkage style on these 3650's is a poor design and causes damage to the tranny when driven hard.....like a muscle car should be.