Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what were ford engineer thinking 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 07:17 PM
LostBoyz
4th Gear Member

a lot of cars have them, plug it if you don't like it.

Engineers were thinking that their NVH was too good and some people like to hear what their engine is doing.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:22 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
The sound tube is basically a "baseball-cards-in-the-bike-spokes" for adults...
:icon_mr green: Well said
Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 PM
65Raven65
3rd Gear Member

It doesn't bother me, but then I dont drive mine daily. I've had mine about 15 months or so and the car only has about 3K on it.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:24 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

it was kinda silly..but if you pull the tube out from the firewall and then remove the sponge inside that it does make it sound really sweet when you go WOT..i dont have it anymore cause I got a JLT intake now but I actually liked the sound it made in cabin when i took that sponge out.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:37 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
the same thing goes for cats.
does nothing for your car, only emissions. which most of us take out anyways.
its one more thing to break and fix. unless you remove it.
same thing goes for PCV lines.

Wait. Am I reading this wrong, or are you implying that the sound tube can somehow break and require fixing?

I must really be taking this out of context, but it also looks like you're implying the sound tube has something to do with emissions?
Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

TBH I enjoy the sound tube addition...I like being able to hear a little bit more engine. I even drive mine as a daily driver and the additional noise really isn't very loud unless you pull the foam inserts out. And as said you can plug it.

I don't think it was a stupid engineering choice in the least.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:45 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pdonket
TBH I enjoy the sound tube addition...I like being able to hear a little bit more engine. I even drive mine as a daily driver and the additional noise really isn't very loud unless you pull the foam inserts out. And as said you can plug it.

I don't think it was a stupid engineering choice in the least.
+1 me too, the engines not exactly QUIET, as someone else said on this thread, but the insulation on the stang is good enough that you wont hear it if there isnt a direct link for the noise to reverberate thru to you(did I phrase that right?).. I think its an awesome idea that gives you that "wow" factor when first driven lol!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
wilkinda
2010 Section Moderator

Originally Posted by aaquib1992
+1 me too, the engines not exactly QUIET, as someone else said on this thread, but the insulation on the stang is good enough that you wont hear it if there isnt a direct link for the noise to reverberate thru to you(did I phrase that right?).. I think its an awesome idea that gives you that "wow" factor when first driven lol!
From the inside of the car..with the windows up...it is quiet....you even stated "the insulation on the stang is good enough that you won't hear it if there isn't a direct link for the noise to reverberate thru".... sounds like you said it was quiet...
Old 12-16-2010, 12:46 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Allow me to interject, if you will.

What I believe is causing OP's consternation is his erroneous belief that the tube is an unimpeded direct connection from the intake to the cabin.

This is incorrect.

There is a large diaphragm in the tube that physically seals off the sound tube from the cabin. There is no actual air going through the tube, nor is there unmetered air being sucked from the cabin into the intake.

The noises from the intake resonate the diaphragm, which then - like a drum head - carry the sounds through the rest of the tube into the cabin.

Think of it as a modified tin-can-and-a-string approach to transmitting sound.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Digital_Synapse
2nd Gear Member

Good I'm not the only one. When I got my car it was so freaking quiet with the A/C on low, and the windows up, radio OFF, I couldn't even tell it was on. I couldn't hear anything, that's great and all...if you drive an auto. I hadn't driven manual in 4 years, and this is bad because I drive by sound. I cant shift without looking at the RPMs if I dont know the shift points. Long story short, I slapped some Corsas and problem was fixed. lol

Quick Reply: what were ford engineer thinking 2011 5.0